• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

mangrove questin

There are several different species of mangroves, and each one has slightly different requirements, especially in the area od how deep you place them in their SW bog.

IMHO, unless you have a sump on the floor and about 8 feet over it, forget mangroves. Remember you are growing a large tree here. Also, to be effective you are going to need more than one. I feel that most of us are better off with out trying to grow mangroves.

but it's soooo cool!!!! ;D

but to dave's point if your purpose is thinking that mangroves serve a better way of nutrient export then cheato - then that's not the best way to go.

If you're line of thinking is how cool it would be to have a mini-forest of mangrove pods - then ok go for it! I'd be interested....

where were you planning on getting the pods?

ocean gallery has tigger pods which are live pods. as for the maangrove i placed it in my fg under my tank and burried its roots under the fiji mud. i thought mangroves would help pull nutrients out of my water.

oh if it's going to be under the tank - you should go with some type of macroalgae.

Mangrove is basically a tree - like oak, pine etc, except it has the unique ability to have roots in brackish/salt water.

I wouldn't do it if it's under a tank.

I have cheato under there now but I thought it would be nice to have a mangrove as well I got one and just wanted to make sure I kept it alive