• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mangroves and LED lightning?

Does anyone use LED lightning for the mangroves? ???

I would like to add mangroves to my sump. It is located under the tank, so I need to install additional lightning and not sure what to use. I read somewhere that regular plant grow lights should work for mangroves.

The concerns I have:
1. Moisture. Does anyone have LED lights under the tank and over the sump? Are they moisture proof?
2. The area is not big, so I probably only need a small strip or two of lights. I saw a few LED panels on Amazon, they are at least 36" long, nothing small.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

i had mangroves in my sump under 2 40w incandescent bulbs and they were doing....ok.
then i put them outside a few weeks ago, thinking they'de grow fast over the summer. not so.
they're mostly dead now.

i know it didn't answer your question about the leds. but personal experience none the less

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You might want to check out plant growing websties instead of the marine ones. They have LEDs that are more in line with growing plants then coral. They might also be cheaper as they don't have the reef mark up. I have no experience with mangroves or plants and LEDs but I know they use a lower kelvin rating then we use.