• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Marine head and lateral line disease

I just got done reading Steve pros article on this subject.
In regards to nutrition beta glucan vitamin c and a might be beneficial. This ailment is common in surgeonfish Steve's article brings attention to lack of certain algae that might lead to nutrition deficiency. Does anyone feed algae to their tangs? I have heard of some folks feeding a red algae I think it is called dragons breadth(I could be wrong)
Is beta glucan a supplement like selcon? Or is it available in commercially available foods

Any recommendations on product names would be helpful

I am already feeding nori soaked with selcon
I feed pellets and frozen on alternating days

Any thing I am missing?

I used to keep this in the refugium when it was $7.00 for the amount shown on the site, and feed it on a clip. It became too expensive, and I no longer keep a refugium. So, now I use Julian Sprung's Purple seaweed . I also feed a mix of PE and Hikari Mysis Shrimp, along with NLS marine pellets.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The short on HLLE:
Can be caused by:
Poor Nutrition. Tangs are herbivores in the wild hence why people feed nori and what not to tangs as a supplement with everything else. If the fish starts to display HLLE, then selcon acts as a good vitamin to assist in the healing process.
Stray voltage can lead to HLLE
Carbon: There has been new research done that if a carbon reactor is not setup properly and there is grinding which releases essentially carbon dust into the water, this can cause and increase HLLE.

Solution for: Poor nutrition: Feed nori and add vitamins to the food. This can stop and reverse HLLE
Stray Voltage: Get rid of what is causing it
Carbon: If you noticed that the HLLE started with carbon being put online/after a carbon switch, take the reactor off line for a while and see if it helps.

I've experienced it before and blamed the carbon I was using. Fish were all well fed, plenty of macro algae in my tank to graze on and low stress tankmates. Stopped running carbon ever since

I hope the condition is reversible. I have seen some tangs that look like they are permanently disfigured by the HLLE.

My sailfin tang had it. It was getting worse and worse...then I read about carbon being a possible cause.

Stopped using carbon and it got better and better. Took a couple years but it did completely heal.