• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mark C's downsize

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, started breaking down the 90 and the nano with plans to settle into an AIO. Looked at the options, and needed something this weekend. Craigslist stuff didn't pan out so at the last minute I went in and grabbed an Innovative Marine 25g shallow reef with stand.

Picked it up from ACC and John cut me a deal as a member, saved about $70, plus a $70 future livestock credit made it a worthwhile.

Only problem I had was the unit was assembled. Requested a boxed unit but was told that they came assembled - and I didn't think much about it. But that thick plastic coating that wood units have was never taken off when the unit was assembled, so it was impossible to just peel it off, as it went under adjacent pieces. My first 2 hours with the new toy involved a complete disassembly of the cabinet, removal of the plastic coatings, removal of the assembly number stickers, and reassembly. I'd advise asking for a boxed unit so you can avoid the extra timing.

Nice looking tank. Plan on running a few zoas and SPS up high. Using a Hydra 26 at half power. There's no actual mount for the Hydra units at this point outside the 'drill into the back of the cabinet bar', but John and I were able to jury-rig a setup which seems to be working fine. As always, ACC offered some future assistance if I decide to change out my lighting.

As per circ, was initially planning on using my MP10, but decided to go with the Gyre on the back wall.

So, all good, got the setup at a competitive price with discount and know I'll have ACC behind it.

IMG_4524_zpsdnugpsph.jpg

IMG_4525_zpsgw89esqc.jpg

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I think I'm a nano guy. As good as the 90 looked there was just too much space to work with. I wasn't enjoying it at all and there were more than a few times I was debating on leaving the hobby.
The nano is the best thing I've done. Glad I picked one up as opposed to washing my hands of the hobby totally.
Why?
Might be as in my previous career I was an artist, and working in a limited canvas with limited colors was always a challenge, one I enjoyed.
Maybe with work and 2 kids, sports, daycare, etc... the 15-20 min weekly maintenance is a relief.
May be that a major emergency water change involves a single 5g bucket and can be completed from scratch inside an hour.
When I look at the tank I SEE the whole environment, and can watch things on a small scale you miss in a big tank.
Maybe as it sits near the TV and doesn't demand attention, but its very pleasantly distracting.
Regardless, I'm loving it.

Tank has been running 2 weeks with established rock from old system.

25g shallow lagoon (bare bottom)
Hydra 26 light
Biocube skimmer (which works surprisingly well)
MP10 at 70% reef crest mode (pulled the Gyre, was a bit too much force for such a small tank)
Tunze circulator pump (with the MP10 at 70%, return at 250, and Tunze at 450, Im getting approx 1500gph in a 25g, everything is LOVING it)
Tunze nano ATO
Jecod 2p doser (Ca and Alk)
Cooling fan
Dual 100w heaters
Reefkeeper Lite (controlling temp primarily)

1 female O. clown
1 male black ice clown
1 yellow goby
1 cleaner shrimp
3 Sexy shrimp
1 pom-pom crab
1 emerald crab
2 bumblebee shrimp
14 mixed SPS (toxic slimer, forest fire digi, etc...)
3 encrusting SPS (red chili, blue-silver leptastrea, etc...)
1 large 8 head LPS (aussie hammer)
9 zoa mini colonies (rastas, mauls, etc...)
3 rock anems (wanderers, about the size of a quarter)
1 flower anem (vibrant red/green/yellow)
1 long tent. anem (bright purple)

Going to add a biocube UV, another 1-2 SPS, a few more zoa frags, and 2 more flower anems (as I find them). Pushing the limits but all is doing incredibly well.

Will post some build pics tomorrow.

Last edited:

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I think I'm a nano guy. As good as the 90 looked there was just too much space to work with. I wasn't enjoying it at all and there were more than a few times I was debating on leaving the hobby.
The nano is the best thing I've done. Glad I picked one up as opposed to washing my hands of the hobby totally.
Why?
Might be as in my previous career I was an artist, and working in a limited canvas with limited colors was always a challenge, one I enjoyed.
Maybe with work and 2 kids, sports, daycare, etc... the 15-20 min weekly maintenance is a relief.
May be that a major emergency water change involves a single 5g bucket and can be completed from scratch inside an hour.
When I look at the tank I SEE the whole environment, and can watch things on a small scale you miss in a big tank.
Maybe as it sits near the TV and doesn't demand attention, but its very pleasantly distracting.
Regardless, I'm loving it.

Tank has been running 2 weeks with established rock from old system.

25g shallow lagoon (bare bottom)
Hydra 26 light
MP10 at 70% reef crest mode (pulled the Gyre, was a bit too much force for such a small tank)
Tunze circulator pump (with the MP10 at 70%, return at 250, and Tunze at 450, Im getting approx 1500gph in a 25g, everything is LOVING it)
Tunze nano ATO
Cooling fan
Dual 100w heaters

1 female O. clown
1 male black ice clown
1 yellow goby
1 cleaner shrimp
3 Sexy shrimp
1 pom-pom crab
1 emerald crab
2 bumblebee shrimp
14 mixed SPS (toxic slimer, forest fire digi, etc...)
3 encrusting SPS (red chili, blue-silver leptastrea, etc...)
1 large 8 head LPS (aussie hammer)
9 zoa mini colonies (rastas, mauls, etc...)
3 rock anems (wanderers, about the size of a quarter)
1 flower anem (vibrant red/green/yellow)
1 long tent. anem (bright purple)

Going to add a biocube UV, another 1-2 SPS, a few more zoa frags, and 2 more flower anems (as I find them). Pushing the limits but all is doing incredibly well.

Will post some build pics tomorrow.

Can't wait to see some build pics. I figure you wouldn't get 100% out of the hobby. :eagerness:

Do you really like this tank better than the 90 I am looking to get back in but looking to stay what I've always had (180 and up ) but you got me thinking about the work involved and space to view a big tank in new house is a little tough, maybe I will look into this style tank instead. I would like to see some pice of how it looks when stocked with fish and corals if you have

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Hi Trap,
Soz for late reply, but yeah, I do.
I was going to post pics a few days ago but photobucket was down.
I'll post a few build shots this weekend,

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Finally got around to it.

Full tank
IMG_4714_zpsf2hebexn.jpg

Close up
IMG_4706_zpsa81nnxjc.jpg

Left side
IMG_4708_zpsvhvdwpd8.jpg

Center (with frag growing region on center floor)
IMG_4707_zps4rzq3jit.jpg

Right side
IMG_4709_zps8lcnq8so.jpg

Modified equipment list:

Hydra 26 light
MP10 at 70% reef crest mode
Tunze nano ATO
Biocube UV
Cooling fan
Dual 100w heaters
3 compartment insert running floss, carbon, phosban, and chempure (some of the tx rocks have algae, want to clean it up as quick as possible)

Also added a juvenile 6 line