• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mark's Pico reef (6g)

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Sale of the species specific didn't work out, and as I was looking at the tank (which was going to be seahorse specific) I thought, its Saturday, off work as wife is sick and watching kids, I don't want to work on the floors, I'm a bit bored, and surely I don't have enough stress. I should make a pico reef.

Heading out today to purchase lumber for a stand build and to check out some tiny power heads and rock.

Figure I'll run it as a low light coral/shroom tank with a few inverts and maybe a tang or two.

IMG_3131_zpsw7ktwpem.jpg

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
With plague rampant in the house, I spent Saturday doing a bit of set-up.

Few more bits and pieces salvaged, plus just bought a new heater and pump. I plan on filling the Aqueon with some rubble, a sponge, and a small bag of Phosban.

parts_zpsdxnpbqs5.jpg

Stand and tank in position...

emptytank_zpsvhbjgkht.jpg

Kitchen Aquascaping (man its tough to aquascape in a 10" square area, had to break up some rock)...

scape1_zps9c8d2mwl.jpg

scape2_zpsvnh3jlld.jpg

Filled and the cycle begins...

lighttank_zpsagndrqpk.jpg

And thats about it for a few weeks. :)

chairtank_zps34lscwjt.jpg

Had everything on hand outside of pump ($15), heater ($15), and stand ($70), so it was an additional $100 out of pocket.

Had I run the build full out of pocket probably would have run around $150, not including stand...
Tank $25, Dry rock (7-8 lbs) $15, Aragonite $15, Eheim daylight/actinic $35 on sale, Heater $15, Pump $15, Aqueon HOB quietflow filter $30

Stockwise (suggestions appreciated) I'm thinking..
Mixed zoas and shrooms
Couple of nasarrius snails
A nerite or margarita and a few dwarf ceriths
Yellow clown goby
Porcelin crab
And a Naso Tang (thanks Art) OR a Moorish Idol.

Last edited:

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Sweet little tank! Did you build the stand? If so awesome job!

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jester goby? if you pull the crab that would also be a nice tank for pipefish, they're just a bit harder to feed.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Thanks all,

1. Beer always helps. :)

2. Didn't build the stand, bought the wood to build it myself, but decided to buy one as I wanted it to look good.

3. I thought pipefish, especially as I raise pods, but they would quickly outgrow the tank. I like the looks of the jester goby, might pick one up for my main, but dont think there'd be enough for it to eat in the small tank (edit - LiveAquaria has captive bred that eats frozen brine/mysis). I was tempted to look into a green mantis shrimp, but decided to hold off and make a species specific 30 for a peacock mantis some time in the future. Going to keep looking for something interesting and on the lower maintenance end.

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Rescape. Had a bit of time, some rock and a hammer.
Wanted to get as complex as possible while maintaining flow in a 10" x 10" area with enough shelving and space to grow a decent zoa garden with an acon on the bed.

Left side...
IMG_3243_zpsah2zerk7.jpg

Front...
IMG_3240_zpsaaxtbmvp.jpg

Right side...
IMG_3235_zpsz7inuthf.jpg

Top down...
IMG_3241_zpsqdcys8l6.jpg

Going to peroxide it, rinse it, and start curing it in the tank.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
New stocking thoughts. Want to have a maxed out active tank with a few small (<1") tenants.
With the new scape, there's a good amount of grow space as well as considerable swim space.

Corals
Mixed zoas
2-3 mushrooms
1 small acan
Frogspawn or Hammer (are LPS possible in a 8g pico)?

CUC
4 dwarf/micro ceriths
1 Florida cerith
1 nassarius
1 nerite

Inverts
1 pom-pom crab
1 porcelin crab
2 sexy shrimp

Fish
Tanaka's pygmy wrasse

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You could probably add more snails, I would do 3-4 nassarius, probably 8 or so mini cerith and one more nerite. Lps would be fine, if there's a way to do an ato though that would be a big plus for stability, if you leave out the Lps though you don't have to worry about testing for alk and calc.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Got the MP40 in.
Fortunately theres some space left for the tang.

IMG_3283_zpsmaa386eq.jpg

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Did you happen to get a second mp40 for the dead spots you'll have behind the rock?