• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Maroon clown eggs

Clownfish eggs again, seems to be every 14-21 days now. First time under the anemone itself, which seems to be bothering it but so is life.

[video=youtube;RL7TeT4ogZ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL7TeT4ogZ8[/video]

My wife wants me to try and save them to raise them, but it seems like a ton of work, that requires space i just don't have.

Have to ask how you get a color that isn't so blue on the video? Been playing with all sorts of settings but curious how you did this.

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
Have to ask how you get a color that isn't so blue on the video? Been playing with all sorts of settings but curious how you did this.

I wish I had an answer for you but its an iPhone video. I didn't do anything special. I did have the flash on the whole time though. I don't remember if it was Manhattan Reefs or Reef Central but someone came up with an ingenious way to compensate for the blue by holding color film swatches in front of the lens. If I find it I'll post a link.

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
My wife wants me to try and save them to raise them, but it seems like a ton of work, that requires space i just don't have.

As far as raising them it is way beyond my skill level and I would never have the time, patience or fortitude to even try. My hats off to those that can do it. I wish it was easier because I have about six or seven breeding pairs of fish in the tank now. Its a joy to watch all the mating dances though.

Congrats! I tried my hand at the egg breeding. It was a lot of fun but not much time today to do it. Plus my female and male both have since moved on. I do still have one captive bred baby who is growing up fast and is the boss in my tank. I'm hoping she will carry on the tradition once she agrees with the juvenile I added in.

First step is to start a culture of live rotifers. You can probably buy them from a fellow reefer or order online. You feed the rotifiers phyto plankton (again either raise live or buy dead ones...rotifers don't seem to mind - at least mine didn't lol).

Here's a long thread on my trials /errors on breeding them. Maybe it will inspire you!

http://www.njreefers.org/showthread.php?71076-Clownfish-Log

My initial run was successful with only 5...the metamorphosis period was a lot of trial and error. A pic from 2009:
IMG_6163.jpg

btw if you have any questions - just ask - i'm happy to answer any and all. I really had a great time and honestly i'm not a genius at this reef keeping stuff ha ha!

Congrats! I tried my hand at the egg breeding. It was a lot of fun but not much time today to do it. Plus my female and male both have since moved on. I do still have one captive bred baby who is growing up fast and is the boss in my tank. I'm hoping she will carry on the tradition once she agrees with the juvenile I added in.

First step is to start a culture of live rotifers. You can probably buy them from a fellow reefer or order online. You feed the rotifiers phyto plankton (again either raise live or buy dead ones...rotifers don't seem to mind - at least mine didn't lol).

Here's a long thread on my trials /errors on breeding them. Maybe it will inspire you!

http://www.njreefers.org/showthread.php?71076-Clownfish-Log

My initial run was successful with only 5...the metamorphosis period was a lot of trial and error. A pic from 2009:
IMG_6163.jpg

I still have our Nemo from Phil, he is the smallest yet strongest fish in our tank. Real survivor. Now is paired with a new clown.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I wish I had an answer for you but its an iPhone video. I didn't do anything special. I did have the flash on the whole time though. I don't remember if it was Manhattan Reefs or Reef Central but someone came up with an ingenious way to compensate for the blue by holding color film swatches in front of the lens. If I find it I'll post a link.

HERE's the post Mike put up on Lighting Gels.