• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Material Recommendations for basic stuff

these hydros look good, but the tank is small, its only 24 inches long, wouldn't this be too much flow? thats why i was thinking about a small rio, or mini-mj to hide behind the rock to control dead spots..

Hi Volk,
The Hydros and Tunzes (both are prop powerheads) have a wide flow. With a Maxi-Jet or any other powerhead, the flow is more of a jet of water. I have 2 Tunzes 6025 in a 15gal SPS cube and the flow is just right. The tank is BB, otherwise it would be a major sand storm.

So, to answer your question, I think 1 Hydro 4 would be good to start with. You could mount it center back and point it at the front or mount it on a back corner pointing at the opposite front corner (did that make sense?).

What type of corals do you want to keep? Or is this going to be a fish only tank?

kabal2 said:
i been using rios for around 2 long years and i dont have problem with them, even when they are in a wavemaker, but yes just for some extra gallons maybe the mj900 will be better and for even more water movement you can get the hydros,

Gabe

Hi Gabe,
I have never had any luck like you are with Rio PH. Mine always seem to fail on me. Years ago, I had one leak the oily substance (killed the tank) and another that would shock me when I put my hand in the sump. That was enough for me to take them out of all my tanks.
They do work great for some people but, after my encounter and from reading too many bad post I don’t recommend them to people.
No powerhead war here, I was just offering my thoughts to Volk. ;D

Jon

demon16v said:
So, to answer your question, I think 1 Hydro 4 would be good to start with. You could mount it center back and point it at the front or mount it on a back corner pointing at the opposite front corner (did that make sense?).

What type of corals do you want to keep? Or is this going to be a fish only tank?

Koralia 4 - 1,200 gph, that looks like a lot! you dont think its way too much for a 2 feet long tank??

It's not really that strong in a traditional powerhead kind of way. It's not a stream like a MaxiJet. It's very broad and not really focused like other powerheads. After using them myself I'd say no it's not to much. Worse case you could always aim it to bounce off the glass on the other side of the tank.

Carlo