• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Maxi Jet failures

Anyone know a trick to get these things going again when they suddenly fail? I use the 600s for my phosban reactors.

Erik

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not recomending you do it since the impeller could hurt your finger...whenever a powerhead or any magnetic driven impeller sticks for me, I just tap it with my finger and it starts again...maybe be brighter than me and try something pointy...just a tap on the impeller usually loosens the impeller...if this doesn't work I can't help you any further....please be careful!!!

Rod

Fail as in "lock up" or just die completely. Sometimes the impeller seems to get stuck on mine and I either move the nozzle back and forth or (for the ones near the glass) I've wave a powerful magnet near the head and it sometimes gets it going again.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Have you soaked it in vinegar already? I always start with that (and then stick my finger in the impeller.

radiata

NJRC Member
Phyl said:
Have you soaked it in vinegar already? I always start with that (and then stick my finger in the impeller).

You may want to try buying a new impeller before you stick tour finger into it.

Try cleaning it as per Phyl...if that or the finger trick...chopsticks work too doesn't work ;) I would suggest just getting a new one.

I hate maxi jets... = fail.

vinegar + maxi jets = fail 50%.

set up external pump with manifold t'd back to reactors = winner winner.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I must be a lucky one. 9 times out of 10 all I had to do is twist the cap/nozzle and it started working again. One time though I found that the shaft was spinning and not the impeller. switched it out and was good to go.

just stick my finger into the impeller.. it hurts nothing like the time i started my RC plane with my finger.. ouch*

Wow all these people sticking their fingers in impellers ;D I usually just knock it around a bit if it sticks and it will click a few times then start. if it dont, i try the vinegar soak. When this cant fix it anymore i toss it and get a new one