• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Maxspect Gyre XF150 feedback

I know a bunch of members picked up the maxspect xf 150 and was wondering their thoughts on it?

I am currently running a Jebao Wp60 on my display and like the flow, but it is more of a fire hose than a broad flow throughout.

My tank is a 180g pennisula 6 x 2 x 2 w/ a single overflow on the left side w/ the returns coming up through it.

Do the members who own it think it will be a good choice/like it? Would you mount it vertically or horizontally on the side opposite the overflow or maybe even directly on the overflow?

Thanks for the feedback!

Picture of the tank for reference, you can see the overflow on the left side.

KH7ji2N.jpg

I picked one up and will say it does move quite a bit of water on my 120. Noise is a slight higher pitch from the deeper mp40s I also use. However, I am a bit unhappy with this product for the following reason. I can only run it in normal flow or pulse flow above 40-50% or it stops and an indicator light flashes red. If I want the reverse gyre mode (the rotor spins in alternating directions for given times) it stops with the first switch and a red light flashes no matter what speed I have. If you go to coralvue help site and see questions with the same problems the response....there is a break in period to let so called bacteria coat things. Personally I'm not happy with this....it should do all said functions right from the start and not need some break in time to be able to utilize the other functions. I'm not sure if others have this problem or not, I have a ticket order placed through their site and am awaiting a response.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I picked one up and will say it does move quite a bit of water on my 120. Noise is a slight higher pitch from the deeper mp40s I also use. However, I am a bit unhappy with this product for the following reason. I can only run it in normal flow or pulse flow above 40-50% or it stops and an indicator light flashes red. If I want the reverse gyre mode (the rotor spins in alternating directions for given times) it stops with the first switch and a red light flashes no matter what speed I have. If you go to coralvue help site and see questions with the same problems the response....there is a break in period to let so called bacteria coat things. Personally I'm not happy with this....it should do all said functions right from the start and not need some break in time to be able to utilize the other functions. I'm not sure if others have this problem or not, I have a ticket order placed through their site and am awaiting a response.

I do not own a gyre but really? $300 equipment needs bacteria to coat things for it to work properly? I'm sorry but that's just funny.

After reading that I might wait for version 2.0 to see what they fix. Remember the old vortech controllers? I do :(!!!

Thanks for the feedback Zippy!

After the New Year I plan on adding more fish to my tank which has been doing well :). So that is a plus!

Not busting any balls. I said it dows move water. Mine apparently has a faulty controller from the moment of unwrapping. I did as packaging info said and registered product right away. On your sites FAQ for gyre they responded to similar faults with my posted response regarding bacterial coating. I personally felt that was complete nonsense and immediately opened a ticket. Their response time has always been prompt with an answer of a faulty controller. To ship me a new one they require a proof of purchase. My point is why do I? This was done already when I sent the same to register it at coralvue. I have not said your product is crap. It is however faulty out of box. When I am in receipt of unit with ALL functioning parts I will comment further with a review of what it can do for my system and customer service. Here's a chance for customer service to shine.

Not busting any balls. I said it dows move water. Mine apparently has a faulty controller from the moment of unwrapping. I did as packaging info said and registered product right away. On your sites FAQ for gyre they responded to similar faults with my posted response regarding bacterial coating. I personally felt that was complete nonsense and immediately opened a ticket. Their response time has always been prompt with an answer of a faulty controller. To ship me a new one they require a proof of purchase. My point is why do I? This was done already when I sent the same to register it at coralvue. I have not said your product is crap. It is however faulty out of box. When I am in receipt of unit with ALL functioning parts I will comment further with a review of what it can do for my system and customer service. Here's a chance for customer service to shine.

Was actually responding to the OPs, but if you give me your full name I'll check to see where we are with your replacement controller.

Chris

I just got one but my kids wrapped it up for my Christmas present - cant open it till then! Is there a time limit on registering? I'm a bit concerned about this controller issue....

I received my new controller today and the gyre is working fine with all settings at any speed. Carlos was quick to respond to tickets and even e-mailed me on a Sunday. Needless to say customer service did a fine job and I'm quite happy. The pump does move quite a bit of water, about the equivalent of 2 mp40s. The controller would be even better if it had a ramp up speed like reef crest for the mps. I guess that will be next years release. Currently I am using the reverse gyre with A and B rotors. I set the flow for 10 min and then do the reverse agitation for 2 min. This is the closest I can get to reef crest. Not a big fan of the on off mode. Tank water gets a little to close to rim and I'm afraid it will go over. So for 300$ I have the flow of 2 mp40s and when I need to clean the glass the strong magnet allows me to move the pump without putting my hand in the tank! Even if the newer controllers cost 100$ you still have spent less,than the cost of 2 mp40s.

So I put my gyre in the tank. I have it on my weir pushing out to the end of my penninsula. My worry about it being too powerful was unfounded. I have it on full force and it does push water well but it does not move any sand. That being said I may look at the 170 when its issued
:).
Merry Christmas all!