• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

May I see pics of your closed loop?

Hello all-

I have been planning my new 90 gal. setup, and have concluded that I should drill for corner overflows- however, I'd also like to get rid of powerheads and go closed loop. I have read a lot about CL but I'd love to see other peoples setups before I start drillin'!

So if you have them handy, I would love to see pictures of how others have plumbed their CL setups.

My 2 main roadblocks- 1) tempered glass on the bottom and 2) not much room in the back. I guess that it's best to have a s few 90 degree bends as possible in a setup like this because flow will be restricted?

Thanks and Happy Holidays to you!!

Jan

Jan,

How are you going to drill tempered? I think it's better for you to just buy a predrilled. It will be a lot easier for sure. Just my 2 cents.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You can NOT drill tempered. It will shatter. I think you know that because of your comment about not enough room. If you have a tempered bottom, and you want to drill, all holes must be in the vertical sides.

I am aware I can't drill the bottom because it's tempered. I am comfortable with drilling, as I plan on drilling the side for corner overflow. However, concerning the CL I'm just not sure where to position the holes so I optimally plumb this baby so I have the fewest 90 degree turns that cut down flow, etc.

Because you can't drill the bottom, maybe consider a Calfo overflow instead.

How many returns are you wanting from your closed loop?