• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mbodell's 75 gallon

I am finally getting around to adding my tank thread on here.
Tank stats:
75 gallon w/ 30 gallon sump
aqua c 240 skimmer w/mag 18
iwaki 40 rlxt return (soon to be my closed loop pump)
1 korlia 4, 2 korlia 3s
48" outer orbit dual 150mh/130w actinic pcs
150 lbs live rock
reef keeper elite
chaeto/red gracilaria algae and mangroves in sump under clipon light w/ 40 watt reveal bulb

Here are some pictures of my tank. I forgot I was going to take pictures, so the cloudiness is from the reef snow I used. oops. :side:

2010-01-06192509.jpg

2010-01-06192437.jpg

2010-01-06192456.jpg

I will be tying into the basement this week.

Here is don hard at working helping me fix up the sump room. 

2010-01-19192230.jpg

2010-01-19192247.jpg

Say, Tom, let me whitewash a little... lol
2010-01-19204200.jpg

2010-01-19204239.jpg

2010-01-19222409.jpg

The start of my Manifold plumbing.
2010-01-19222443.jpg

If anyone wants to come by this week to help, we will be mixing 22 bags of concrete and pouring a raised platform because my existing floor can't hold the weight and isn't level. I need to having the plumbing done and water mixed up by saturday, so all are welcome to help.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I hope you’re not mixing that concrete by hand (that is, in a wheelbarrow with a hoe).  Your arms will be dead by the time you get to bag 7 or 8.  Go to your local rental place (or Home Depot…they rent as well) and rent the small barrel mixer (Electric..holds a bag of readimix).  Bring it right to the spot you want to pour and just mix and dump…mix and dump…mix and dump, etc.  Unfortunately I’m busy this weekend, but you are welcome to use my floats and trowels.  I have two large (maybe 3 feet or so wide) floats…actually you can keep them if you like.  The trowels I would like back.  If you go the wheelbarrow route…I have four of those...actually, I give you one of those to keep if you would like. Oh, and I have a nice concrete encrusted hoe as well.

Thanks for the offer. I was going to do it with a drill mixer, but I think it would be a lot easier renting a mixer. I am going to try and pour the floor tonight or I might take off work tomorrow to do it.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mike, I apologize if you are already in the know…I just don’t know of your knowledge of concrete.  A common mistake of novices is making the concrete too watery.  You don’t want to do this…it weakens the concrete.  Add water slowly and go for a stiff mix.  The concrete will still look clumpy…like it needs more water.  If you can ball it up and it stays together, that’s just right.  You definitely don’t want if soupy.

Also, I can’t see a drill mixer mixing much concrete…maybe a third to a half of a 5 gallon bucket.  Just don’t have the horsepower.

Even though it takes months to get to a ninety-something percent cure, at least give it a few days to cure before putting heavy weight on it.  Have fun! 

And finally, it doesn't have to dry to cure. Actually if it does dry, the curing stops. Once the concrete sets up...a oouple hours, keep it wet.

Thank you for the advice. I am renting a 2 cubic foot mixer to do this. I probably would mix it too wet. I have a tendency to do that. I was going to try and spray down the cement everyday to prolong the curing for 6 or 7 days. I haven't done too much concrete, but Taz has been a big help.

Thank you for talking me into the mixer. I mixed a total of 38 80lb bags yesterday.

Don's brother had a neat laser level. Got the floor framed. I didn't take a finished product picture yet, but I will post one tonight.

2010-01-21171702.jpg

2010-01-21171615.jpg

Had to do some floor repair from tree root damage before we started the sump room.

2010-01-21171549.jpg

2010-01-21171603.jpg

2010-01-21171537.jpg

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
“I love the smell of fresh concrete in the morning.”

Is that that famous quote or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Mike looks good…one question…it looks like you “painted” your way around the stairs. How did you get out of the basement after you were done?

The leap of faith. I actually have a rear basement door, which was really useful getting the mixer and concrete in.

Here is my finished sump room. I still have to hang some more lights and tie in the controller, but it is working out well.

2010-01-25081301.jpg

2010-01-25081312.jpg

2010-01-25081321.jpg

I am having a problem with cloudy water since I brought the sump online. It has been cloudy for about two days. Does the plumbing need to break in? It doesn't seem like microbubbles. I am running carbon and it doesn't seem to be helping. Did anyone else experience this when tying into the basement at first?

So my water cleared up today! I guess the pipe needed to break in or something?

So I have a question for all you people with cold basements. I have 4 300 watt heaters in the sump to keep my temp at 78 degrees. They are on all of the time. Are there any floating covers or other ways to cut down on the heating costs? I am going to insulate the room and separate it from the cold basement to keep it warmer. Would one 800 watt heater or two 500 watt heaters be cheaper to run?

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Glad to hear that everything cleared up.

I run 1 250w heater in each overflow of my 200g, none in the 120, and 1 250w in the sump. Don't ask me why. It seems to be working for me and there is less than a 2 degree drop occasionally. I can not tell you if they ever turn off though.

I have thought about wrapping the rubbermaid with insulation in the winter as well as wrapping the pipes with the foam insulation in the winter, because the crawlspace where the pipes go through gets quite cold, but I do not know if it would help.

In your situation, I think you may need to insulate the pipes from the cold block wall. I'm sure the pipes will suck the cold right into the pipes. I may be wrong, but even if you slide some 1/2 inch foam between the wall an pipes it may help.

Taz

Mbodell said:
Thank you for talking me into the mixer. I mixed a total of 38 80lb bags yesterday.

man, that's alota bags of cement to have been mixed by hand---you'd probably still be there mixing !!!!
aren't inventions just wonderful !!! back in a day you'd be using a hoe, wheelbarrel and a lot of sweat ---now, turn on, pour in bag, add water and your off...

looks good---
Steve

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow, that's some work you guys put in. I do have one question though... the patchwork that was done around the steps and stuff, how deep/thick was the concrete in this area? If it's only an inch or less, it will likely crack and/or pop out if you used regular quikrete.

As far as helping to keep things warm, using that foam pipe insulation may be your best bet. The heaters in the sump tubs should do fine for keeping the water warm. But as it travels through the pipes and the cold block walls, that's where it will drop a few degrees before it gets to your DT.

It wouldn't hurt to throw a few sheets of insulation on the walls though.

By the way, I live in Blackwood, so not too far away. In fact, I think I was at your house before... around the corner from the hospital, right? Anyway, if you need any more help with this stuff, send me a PM and I'll try to get over there.

The concrete at the steps was about 3-4 inches deep. I used about 20 bags in that area alone. I appreciate the offer for help. At this point I have everything almost done, but if you want to swing by and check it out sometime let me know.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
OK, that sounds good. 3-4" is plenty. I was worried that you just feathered it in to level it out... which never really works without special polymer/epoxy mixes.

Yea, sorry I didn't notice this thread before you actually did the work. I've done some concrete work before and would have been glad to help you out.

Thanks for the offer to stop by. I might take you up on that sometime, but will contact you first. ;) By the way, you had the gecko with the damaged tail right? How's that doing?