• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Melting Candy Cane

My candy cane looks like it's melting...literally. Some of the polyps are loosing their shape and sliding off their stem.

Any idea what might cause the polyps to loose their shape? The remaining polyps (About 30) look fine.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You're scheduled to have a meeting. They'll recover just fine the week after. Sorry. Forgot to mention the curse when you signed up!

Seriously... is there anything near that could be stinging them? Did flow change at all recently? What part of the colony are they on (middle? outside?)?

What are your alk, ca & mg levels?

Thanks Phyl,

The polyps are on the outside edge. They are growing close to some zoos (You know...the ones you told me were poisonous). They've been in close proximity for a while. Maybe they've finally gotten too close. I'm sure that's the problem.

I'll still check the parameters for the things you mentioned when I get home tonight.

BTW, some VERY STRANGE things have happened since I agreed to host the meeting. I believe in the curse!

It could be reproducing,some corals will drop parts of their flesh to create new babies. But of course I can't remember the term for it now. This is acutually common in Caulastrea (trumpet coral). It will be fine as long as it just looks like snot hanging from an expanded polyp. If the polyp is retracted and white then it may be getting stung or in the midst of chemical warfare.

Jcurry,

Thanks for the links! They describe exactly what is happening.

If you're here Sunday, you'll get to see 'Coral Polyp Extrusion' up close.