• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Merv's new 40 gallon build

The rock is now elevated up from the sand which is what I was trying to accomplish. The cement wasn't quite as cured as I had hoped it would be, but I threw it in the tank and so far the SPS and fish haven't reacted to it.... I hope the tank will be ok, I only used a small amount ot waterplug anyways. It could have used another 45 minutes of curing time but I was getting antsy.

Here's a final shot of the tank after rock placement, I like this pic a lot, makes the tank look so dramatic in the house with the background of the late afternoon sun- (PS, the tank is still cloudy when I took it)

MAYart2010.jpg

reefsandrotts said:
Looking great Merv.....

thanks Jim!

I was off today so I went

CORAL SHOPPING.... (not really)

I had to go East to Galloway to clean up the tank (my buddy the tenant said it was dirty) and do a water change and run some chores..... Figured I was in the area anyways, so may as well do a bit of fragging!

this is what I came home with and so here's the tank now:

may10c10.jpg

may1010.jpg

may10a10.jpg

and I also stopped by Aquarium center in Blackwood in the hopes that they would have some Prodibio- they were out.

So, I got about 3 lbs of rubble rock to mount some frags, 2 astrea snails and a cone snail- Good detritus feeders these guys, but at $9.99, I could only afford to get one!

may10b10.jpg

I think I brought with me:

Huge frag of the Green slimer
The blue stag colony (wasn't doing well)
Huge Idaho grape
Superman monti
Hulk monti
Sunset monti
Frag of the pink birdsnest
Small colony of the purple digitata
RichT's small colony of whatever small SPS it is (wasn't doing well either)
and 8 pieces of efflo that I glued together to hopefully grow into a plate eventually

Speaking of efflo's- ummmmm my efflo is gonna be too big to take out of the tank pretty soon- Driving back home made me think. . . a new home maybe?

I don't know if that is a cone shell to be honest. Maybe a good thing. Looks more like a junonia but it is a pacific ocean shell I am pretty sure. I can look when I get home.

Yes Ed, it's sand :D

JRWOHLER said:
I don't know if that is a cone shell to be honest. Maybe a good thing. Looks more like a junonia but it is a pacific ocean shell I am pretty sure. I can look when I get home.

isn't junonia a cone shell though? I know it's the non poisonous one which matters more to me, lol.

Junonia is in the volutes species.
All volutes ae carnivorous, feedein on small marine invertebrate animals
A Guide to Field Identification Seashells of North America.

Also from said guid Atlantic cone shells are poisoness but not harmful to man.

I didn't have a chance to find your exact shell but would guess it is a volute of some kind cones are well more "coneish" if that is a word.

Well it is not poisonous. ;D I would guess that it falls into the same category as a sand sifting star? What the exact diet is I couldn't pin down, would monitor it and if it stays in the sand and doesn't eat your other inverts or clams then it is cool, and you have a beautiful addition. At least you can catch it easily. I would think it is safe if they are selling it.

UPDATE!

For about about 2 weeks now, the tank's had a slight whitish haze. 2 snails died which I'm flabberghasted with~ they were ok a few days before. checked on the sump, the macro-algae is doing fine, lots of new growth and I'm harvesting a small clump every week. The tank params check out and are within check (i hate checking water!), the corals look ok, full polyp extension except the encrusting montis.

I'm made a 30 gallon tub of water yesterday and I'm ganking out half of the sand today. Let's see what that does for the tank.

I'll take a pic so you guys can see the dreaded haze!

10 weeks in and you're blaming the sand already! ::)

Bacteria blooms happen. It's a very young tank still and you have a decent amount of livestock.

If the pareameters are OK and other than the snails the livestock is OK, I would do some water changes and wait it out.

You'll probably get some diatoms soon, and then some cyano, and then a beautiful stable ecosystem. ;D

I have the same haze in my water too and cant get it to go away. I was thinking about siphoning all the sand out of my display and going bare bottom so the only sand i'll have is in my refugium.

blange3 said:
10 weeks in and you're blaming the sand already! ::)

Bacteria blooms happen. It's a very young tank still and you have a decent amount of livestock.

If the pareameters are OK and other than the snails the livestock is OK, I would do some water changes and wait it out.

You'll probably get some diatoms soon, and then some cyano, and then a beautiful stable ecosystem. ;D

Too late Bill!

Sand gone, I nekkid again!