• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Metal halide--regular fixture vs retrofit

Any one have some input on a good lighting setup. I just purchased a all-glass canopy for my 110g the problem with this canopy is that it doesnt have anywhere to mount a retrofit on the top because it has the sliding door for feeding. So my question is would i be able to place a regular metal halide fixture or does it have to be a retrofit. Was told i needed a retrofit because i would burn out a regular fix with all the heat it produces.Needed one with the external ballast. Going to have to figure something out with the retrofit.

Metal halides generate a lot of heat. This is why you usually see them suspended above the tank, usually at a distance between 10 and 18 inches.

You could use any fixture that you can easily suspend. You could also use MH pendants. However, like anything else, some are better quality than others.

When it comes to retrofit verses a regular fixture, if you do all the calculations, you usually save about $100 - $150 or so with a retrofit, but you'll spend some of that building a fixture to hold the retrofit. The big advantage of a regular fixture is that all you need to do is hang it up, and plug it in.

There is a third option. Purchase metal halide reflectors and external ballasts for them separately. Most ready build fixtures do not use electronic ballasts. This option will allow you to use electronic ballasts of your choice, without first paying for the standard coil and core ballasts.

I highly recommend electronic ballasts. While they do cost more, they will pay for themselves in about a year, and after that you'll save money, due to the electricity savings.

What size is the door on the canopy? See if you can remove the door and place something on top. Here's a pic of my Hamilton Protostar fixture sitting on top of my AGA 90 gallon canopy.

7eee3c01.jpg

The canopy looks nice but is awkward to work around. It makes the tank deeper unless you take it off when fishing around in the tank.