• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

MH and T5 lights timing…

malulu

NJRC Member
I have my 3x250W MH on during the day from 9am to 8pm (see below ===),
and 8xT5 (36") 8am-9:15am, then 7:45pm-9pm (see below ---).
would it be beneficial to also keep the 8xT5 (36") on at that "same time"? between 9am to 8pm (see below ***).

my objective is to have more T5 blueplus shine on the corals to get better color, but not sure if the MH also on at that time would causing the waste of engery and have no effect for the T5 lighting?

thanks for helping.

3x250W MH
8am 9am 7pm 8pm 9pm
===================================================

8xT5 (36")
8am 9am 7pm 8pm 9pm
--------- --------

8xT5 (36")
8am 9am 7pm 8pm 9pm
---------***********************************************--------

couldn't you just get different bulbs for your MH? I was under the impression they made bulbs such that some people don't even supplement anymore.

malulu

NJRC Member
i like both color, day & night for different time... NOT going to change them to all-MH nor all-T5.
;)

- the MH is using Reflux 14K during day time.
- the T5 is using BluePlus & Actinic

I use 4 stage lights on my nano. I have a dawn, morning light, "high noon" light, afternoon light, dusk, and nighttime.

8am 65w dual antinic on/ moon off
9am 65w sunpaq on
10am 150w 14k MH on/sunpaq off
6pm MH off/sunpaq on
8pm sunpaq off
10pm antinic off/ moon on

As you can see, my antinics stay on all day. I like the white/blue light from the MH, but I like the extra glow from the antinics. Whether it helps with growth or coloration, no idea. I came up with this over the summer while I was managing water temp due to the lack of a chiller, or money to get one. It looks great and everything in the tank is happy with it.

I don't have T5's , but my photoperiod is:

11:00am: VHO Super Actinics On
2:30pm: MH On
8:00pm: MH Off
9:00pm: VHO Super Actinics Off