• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Micro lens help needed

Guys, I asked a few weeks ago but received no response.

I know nothing about cameras, but I'd like to start taking micro shots.

I don't want to buy something to have someone tell me "you should have bought XXX" so I'd appreciate help with this.

I have a Sony Cybershot a few years old (5 Mega pixel) but it was rather expensive because of some fancy lens and features (not one of those pocket size cameras)...

Please read this info and tell me if I'm on the right track. They are saying that this just goes over my lens. Is that how it works??

Info

Professional Digital MACRO lens
Attaches Directly To The Front Of You Cameras Lens

Made by Bower USA brand new in original box

Resolution is outstanding and focusing is possible at 10cm for super close-ups of insects, flowers and other small objects

Product Features

67mm +10 Close Up lens in carrying case
High Speed Auto Focus
High Quality Fully Multi-Coated Filters with Anti-reflection coating
High-index / low dispersion optical glass
Infrared compatible
Compatible with any digital or film cameras with 67mm threaded lens

Description

This close-up lens allow you to take macro pictures covering a subject field with the area of half a postcard. Cameras fitted with normal lenses do not permit us to move closer than a certain minimum distance from the object being photographed. The Close-Up lens, which is simply mounted in the front of our normal taking lens, permits the taking of close-ups and also makes possible the photography of details which would be quite impossible without using the Close-Up lens. It doesn't block any light, so they only alter the reproduction ratio and greatly increase the working range of standard and telephoto lenses. For reasons of quality, stopping down to at least f/8 is recommended.

what is the exact model of your camera?
will the close up lens fit--screw on--onto the front of your cameras lens?
what mm is your lens? does the add-on lens have to same mm size as your camera?
do you have macro/micro mode capability on the camera?
whats the cost of this add-on lens?
if everything will fit --screw on---onto your lens and you have macro/close-up capability on your camera it just might work.
They sell close up lens--very cheap--about 30.00 for a set of 3---like +1, +2,+3 --each close up lens with fit onto the other---just make sure the close-up lens you get is the same size mm as your lens
and practice, practice,practice--your NOT gonna take BEATUFIL images the first time around--
you also might need( probably) a tripod to make sure the camera is steady enough........
good luck

Thanks Guys.

My camera is a Sony Cybershot dsc-S85. I found the owners manual and found that it has a micro setting enabling you to record images as close as 4cm (1 5/8 inches) from the lens. I really don't use the camera much at all due to it's bulky size when compared to newer pocket models.

Well I'm charging it up. Let's see what happens... If I have luck I'll post some stuff later. I've been wanting to shoot those acans... lol

Guess it pays to read the owners manuals!

just remember---if all else fails---read the manual
theres so much in that manual to help you understand and work the camera---people dont realize that--all cameras are different when it comes to operating them....
go thru the manual with the camera next to you to fully understand how to work the camera---
close-ups are hard to do---you have to be very still before you take the image--try using a tripod and possibly a cable release on the camera to avoid any camera shake----
good luck---now get ready to post some images........

Left my charger at a convention in cherry hill. lol!
Only took me two weeks to figure out what and the heck I did with it.
Be in touch soon! Thanks to all for the assistance ;)