• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mid-Term Election: Director at Large - North

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We've begun the Director at Large election for the North.

The candidates will each post a bit about themselves here in this thread so that if you don't already know them you can get to know them a little before you vote. Please take the time to vote.

The election is HERE

Thanks!

I know I met some of you at the last North meeting, but most of you don't know me. I just started reefing about a year and 9 months ago. I currently have a 30 gallon Oceanic cube. It is a mixed reef with a little bit of everything in it. I plan on upgrading soon because everything is getting a bit crowded and since it is not a reef ready tank I am very nervous about putting a sump on it (it has a cpr bak-pak skimmer on it right now). As for location, I live way up in Dingmans Ferry, PA and work in Lafayette, NJ (Sussex County). Prior to moving in February, I was living in Somerset, NJ. I just bought a house, so I have some big plans for a tank I can plumb into the basement (once the basement is heated). In addition to my reef tank, I have 2 dogs (a bernese mountain dog and an american eskimo) and 2 cats. I had quite a few tanks running before I moved, but I broke down most of the freshwater planted tanks completely. I did keep one small planted freshwater tank, a 10 gallon with some tetras and many many cherry shrimp.

I look forward to contributing more to the club and meeting more of you at future meetings!

Tina

A little back ground for those that don't know me and bet that there is a lot with all of the new members.
I joined NJRC when I came across the club forum on Reef Central and have been a member of for almost 10 years +/-. I have held several officer positions during that time as well as ALL of them for a brief period of time, that I like to refer to as "the dark ages of NJRC". My most glorious day as an officer of NJRC was when I appointed PHYL as president (sucker) and the rest is history. I usually attend the meetings from Bridgewater area up to the Northern parts of NJ. I'm usually the guy with his mouth full of food looking for where I left my beer. Anyway I've thrown my hat into the ring for DAL North because real life has slowed down again that I can offer more time to my hobbies.

Best regards,
Jeff

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks Phil. Out of our 225+ members, we've had about 20 people voting. Those are some terrible statistics!

Looking at the vote numbers, I would make a following suggestion, if you don't mind:

When asking people to vote, explicitely remind them that they could/should explicetely abstain if they wish so. That way you would be more able to discerne apaty about club business from ambiguity about candidates.

Another possibility is to be bit more assertive about such matters: send everyone a PM with the voting checkboxes - not a link. That way no one posts or reads anything until that pesky alert dialogue about new message goes away after reading the new PM ;)

Hi..It is not clear as to who is eligible to vote for this Director At Large NORTH position...all members or only those living in the North Region. As a member living in the Central area, I assume that I am not eligible to vote for the North's representative.

Is this correct?

Dom

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Based on the lack of people who post in the shout box, I always assumed nobody looked at our home page :)

Phyl said:
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Based on the lack of people who post in the shout box, I always assumed nobody looked at our home page :)

There is possibility that people go straight to the forums or PMs without either loading the home page or if they go through it, they might not register it on the page.

Jcurry@wesketch said:
Maybe we could set it up so have to vote when you log in?

I am pretty much sure that plenty of people here are permanently logged on.

Mlad... Interesting and accurate observation...my browser takes me directly to the forum page and not the home page...was just too lazy to change it 'til now

Dom

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'd like to take this time to thank both of our candidates for running for office. I appreciate your willingness to help the club to keep moving forward. I'd also like to take the time to thank those who voted for our candidates. There were moments that the election could have gone either way, with a very close race most of the time.

With that said, congratulations to Jeff for taking the helm as the next Director at Large - North.

Thanks all!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Congrats and welcome back Jeff. Buckle up and prepare for the wild ride!

Tina, thanks for stepping up and volunteering to help out. There are some BIG things coming for us in the near future. I hope you are still willing and able to lend a hand as needed.