• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Midas Blenny with Ich

The midas I got today 3/30 turned dark brown in the bag and then regained color once acclimated. After an hour I saw white spots all over his head and was hoping it was just sand from digging. Now I see white spots on my Flame Angel as well. As of now I am leaving the two fish along with my two clownfish (no spots yet) in the tank and feeding them with Selcon/Garlic extract to get them to eat. My original 3 are eating but the Midas isn't eating much. I am feeling pretty diappointed about this purchase so far which could cause me $200 in losses. In the event of losses does your store have any policy on the matter? When I asked the nice guy that was helping me out he said there wasn't a written policy on fish, but they could work something out. Right now that isn't making me feel to confident. Do you have any advice on curing this parasite that could help me?

Matt

(edit - marginal language in a public forum - RichT)

Subliminal

NJRC Member
I know hindsight is 20/20, but you should NEVER introduce a fish directly into your display tank.

QT ALWAYS...doesn't matter who you buy it from or where you get it...

Now I assume your tank is a reef tank, in which case the only way to get rid of ich is to let the tank sit fallow (without fish) for 8 weeks. Move your fish into a hospital tank and treat accordingly. Low salinity, copper, whatever. You can also feed with food dosed in garlic, as that is reported to help their immune systems.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'd start by dosing their food heavily with garlic as subliminal suggested. Most of our tanks have ich present in them, with the fish healthy enough to prevent an outbreak (proper slime coat, etc). Considering that every coral, rock, snail, EVERYTHING you put in your tank would have to be TREATED (fish could carry, but not show symptoms) or fallow in order to prevent the introduction of ich, it is highly unlikely that anyone's system is guaranteed to be ich free (though there are the lucky or diligent few). The introduction of a new fish will often cause the other fish to stress enough that their immunity is compromised enough to cause ich to be symptomatic. A healthy happy fish will shake that with extra feedings, lowered stress (maybe just actinics for a few days?) and dosing of garlic.

We had gotten a purple tang and put it straight into QT. It showed ich immediately. We treated it with hypo and after 6 long weeks (and 2 more weeks to get the salinity up slowly), we introduced an immaculate, healthy fish into our tank. The next day both he and our existing yellow tang both showed signs of ich. A little garlic and a few days later both had cleared and were fine. I know the purple didn't carry it into the tank and the yellow had NEVER shown signs of ich before. *shrug* You just NEVER know.

as of 7:20am this morning everything looked the same. The midas still had ich and I couldn't find the flame angel. Both Clowns looked fine.

as of 2:20 I went to check on them and I don't see ich on any of them.

I know Ich sometimes appears and reappears, but would it be a (fingers crossed) good bet that the fish have fought off ich in its early stages?

If it was just a couple of spots then chances are the parasites could have fallen off with scratching or just because the fish was moving alot.

I've had ich on my tangs come and go in a day ... i never worry though because they eat like pigs and I have neon gobys that clean them all the time.

thought I was in the clear, but I noticed some spots on a different part of the blenny tonight at 12:00am. The Flame also has some spots. Neither appear to be doing anything different that usual. The blenny actually had dug out a hole in my LR that it hides in. I have no idea how it has done this, but it has. They must have jaws of steal.

I've been in your situation, so i completely understand. I lost about $400 worth of fish. I never place anything in my display until it goes thru QT for a minimum of 6 weeks. Generally speaking the only places that guarantee fish are online vendors. They have to do something to make up for the shipping costs that are charged. I've never been to a LFS that had a policy on replacing fish (if i'm wrong someone please correct me). The reason being as it was explained to me is that they don't get credit from the wholesalers or suppliers. ich can happen to anyone with any fish and it's not the fault of the store, it's just one of those things that happen (yes it sucks) and most people will get it at one time or other. it's a parasite found in most marine fish at one time or other, but in the ocean it's generally not an issue because of the space involved most fish just shrug it off.

Harry

it is highly unlikely that anyone's system is guaranteed to be ich free (though there are the lucky or diligent few)

I might be willing to bet my system is be ich free...it's never had a fish in it and still doesnt ;D (that's probably going to change this weekend though)

I think alot of LFS don't guarentee their fish because they're alot of people out there that are at fault for the fish dying. There are a million different things that can kill a fish. It's up to the buyer to look at the fish and make sure it's healthy before taking it home. I always make sure my fish are eating and are in good health (as far as I can tell by looking) before I buy.

With any livestock purchase the latin saying "Caveat emptor" is in effect.

Sorry to hear about the Midas Blenny, they are great fish.

Doug

well once again the Midas and Flame appear to be ich free. It is almost like it shows a little bit then goes away. I think they are eating well and acting normal so I am thinking things will be ok. My clowns haven't shown anything at all yet. Thanks for your posts. I really appreciate the support and knowledge.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Clowns have a really good slime coat in general and will be the last to show (if at all). It is a good sign that the fish are clear more than not. Hopefully they'll keep fighting the fight and will be "ich free" in no time. Keep up feeding heavily and good water changes frequently.

It is strange and maybe hopeful of me, but I am not questioning whether my two fish had ich at all. The reason I am questioning this is that upon introduction to my tank my blenny found a hole about an inch deep and has dug itself a hole through my entire rock. I have seen it do it and spit out the rock debris. I see bits of this sand grain sized rock all over the rock in front of it and on the ground surface under the hole. Could it be possible that the midas blenny just has bits of the rock on itself and the same for the Flame Angel which sleeps under this hole and is around the blenny much more than the clowns are. Any chance that this sand sized stuff can stick on a fish for a while and then just fall off later after swimming a lot?

Everything looks fine now. Sorry to give a bad report on the store. I was initially pretty freaked out and I am sure you all have had those scares when you were new to the hobby. I will make sure to acclimate my fish with a QT in the future and will be sure to visit AO again. I love this blenny, brings all sorts of new character to my reef.

Matt

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Altohombre said:
Everything looks fine now. Sorry to give a bad report on the store. I was initially pretty freaked out and I am sure you all have had those scares when you were new to the hobby. I will make sure to acclimate my fish with a QT in the future and will be sure to visit AO again. I love this blenny, brings all sorts of new character to my reef.

Matt

No hard feelings! AO (Will) will be charging you double next time lol ;D

magic said:
Altohombre said:

Matt

No hard feelings! AO (Will) will be charging you double next time lol ;D

Stuff happens, but I do think that you should give up sitting on the couch at AO for one month! ;D It's getting harder and harder for me to get my regular seat when I visit!

blange3 said:
It's getting harder and harder for me to get my regular seat when I visit![/color]

whoa - i didn't realize you could type Odin...when did you take over Bill's account anyways? ;D ;) You aren't supposed to be around...I mean altohombre's friend is afraid of four-legged critters...what kind of dog do you think you are? ;D