• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mike's 315 Gallon Build

I got four but the first one never ate. The smallest of the remaining three ate but not very aggressively. I could see it getting thinner but couldn't catch it to put it a separate tank to try to fatten it up. It eventually just disappeared. The last two are doing great and eat everything that I put in the tank. Can't wait to see one transition into a male.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Mike the tank looks fantastic!! Love the island style aquascape!! Very natural looking!

Time for a quick update. I picked a red sea regal angel a few weeks back. I had been debating whether to get one because my prior attempts didn't go well. I thought that if I would try one again I would take some good advice and try to get it settled into my display quickly. This would also mean finding one that had been quarantined. So I picked one up that had been in hypo and put in it my QT for a few days to gradually raise the salinity and make sure it was eating well. Thankfully it adjusted very well and doing great in my display. Its constantly out and about and aggressively eats everything that I put in my tank including rods, mysis, pellets and flakes. Ironically the only thing it seems to spit out is a frozen hikari angel mix... go figure.

On a bad note one of the last two remaining bimac anthias crapped out a long stringy white worm, stopped eating and died a few days later. I had put them through two rounds of prazi while in qt but obviously that didn't work. I've been feeding my fish some medicated food. Time to treat the display with prazi? How contagious are the internal parasites?

I've been debating for a while what direction to go with my lighting. I started with 2 4 bulb ati fixtures thinking that I'd eventually add leds to them to get enough light. After checking my par I was surprised to see just how much light these two fixtures were putting out and that maybe leds weren't going to be necessary. I was very satisfied with the color of the t5s but really missed the shimmer. After seeing a few reefs lit with metal halides I decided to give them a try. Lucky for me there seems to be a lot of people dumping their halide setups and was able to find a couple deals on ballasts and reflectors. So I'm going to be running 3 250 watt radiums with 4 t5s for dusk/dawn effect. I've built a floating canopy and just need to paint and wire it. Hopefully it will be ready to go this coming weekend.

Nothing else new fish or coral wise. The regal angel is still doing great. After losing three bimac anthias to what I assume was internal parasites I decided not to take a chance and treated my display with prazipro. I did the first treatment last week and am going to do one more round later this week. The water looks like he'll with the micro bubbles that it produces and I had to crank my skimmer down but other that that there have been no negative effects.

Hey mike...cant wait to see the pictures with mh up and running. Im pretty sure you're supposed to turn off the skimmer when you administer prazipro based on the directions on the bottle.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Also Dr. Gs medicated food has a prazi food. I try and feed it for a week after we add new fish which helps.

Hey mike...cant wait to see the pictures with mh up and running. Im pretty sure you're supposed to turn off the skimmer when you administer prazipro based on the directions on the bottle.

I think that is mainly for the bubble issue. I wanted to keep the tank aerated so I just turned the DC pump on the skimmer to the lowest setting to keep it from overflowing. Even doing that I had to open the gate valve all the way.

Also Dr. Gs medicated food has a prazi food. I try and feed it for a week after we add new fish which helps.

Thanks Mike are you talking about the pellets? I've been feeding them also but most of my fish don't seem take them reliably. I guess if that's all that I fed them for a few days it might be a different story.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Dr. Gs is a frozen food and they also have some fish eggs that are new that I have not tried. I bought it at AO and AF in the past. I talked to Trop and they tried to order it but got zero response from the company.

Ill have to keep my eye out for it next time I get up there. I checked and the pellets that I have are from Jungle.

Sorry to hear about your anthias, that really stinks.
But I am glad to hear the Regal is doing well Mike, that is one of my favorite fish!

I finished up floating canopy and got the lights hung yesterday afternoon. I'm running three 250 watt radiums and four 80 watt t5's (3 blue plus and 1 Fiji purple). I absolutely love how the radiums look and am just using the t5s for dusk/dawn effect. I may grab a few actinic bulbs to try out.

I only wish that I made the canopy a little taller. Right down its a little blinding sitting in the chairs next to the tank. Ill probably make some modifications to it down the road.

I'm curious to see how my electric usage changes. The new version of the apex interface has the average current for each energy bar along with graphs. Before switching lights my average total current was around 9 amps. Ill watch it over the next few weeks as i ramp the light cycle up. The metals halides are drawing more peak current but I've already noticed that my two 400 watt heaters aren't running after the halides come on and the tank is staying at a steady 78 degrees.