• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Miracle grow plant light

These Led aquarium lights are not up to par! They do not produce what is promiced. They are not top quality and what worries me the worst is the poor warranty and exchange policy. This company needs to be more proactive with their policies!!!!

Just wanted to read the comments this was the first one I came to.

Too bad I want to eventually find a LED solution for my nano so I can bring it out of retirement....OH NO I said it. :-X

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Other player's are aggressively trying to fill the vacuum. However, this is a market with very little precedence and things are a bit up in the air.

The big issue is that they are usually pricey, but some of the new products are pretty competitively priced. I am doing a research on off the shelf solutions, feel free to watch this space and/or contribute.

gogol said:
Other player's are aggressively trying to fill the vacuum. However, this is a market with very little precedence and things are a bit up in the air.

What do you think about WINGO Aqua Pro Builder? I believe you can order a customer fixture for around $400.00. I saw him at MACNA. Very impressive system, just don't know if corals will agree. :-\

Not for my 90G you can't. The quotes I got from him are in the vicinity of $1000. I would anyday prefer a local supplier for this experimental technology. However, for Wingo I am afraid I have to stop buying corals till next summer.... not happening ;D.

He is a good guy to deal with and talk to and has a very fair way of charging you. The cost is $x/watt of light.
You can find his phone number and email at Manhattan Reefs.

You are best off asking the seller that question:
The advertised Par value looks good, more close to a 250W MH. Also find out from him about warranty information.

I just got an answer from the seller:

"I think 2 of these will be okay

Best Regards,Wayne Wong"

By the tone of his message, he doesn't seem too sure. ??? My tank is 24" deep, but two fixtures might be a bit too much. ::)

About warranty .... what kind of problems shall I expect? ???

gogol said:
... I was actually interested in learning some basic wood work, but wanted to attend some sort of crash course/workshop before I started handling a power saw ;D. Would you be able to recommend me one?

Sorry. Wish I could. My "crash course" was my dad when I was a kid. Other than that, I just started grabbing tools and scraps and trying things out on my own.

Same company sells both of those panels whitebear and gogol. The ebay seller is buys these panels in bulk from sites like this one. I'm not sure if that makes a difference to you or not. Just letting you know.

Gogol, the 1W leds in the panel you listed are really best in shallow, low light settings.

I did ask my led guy about the link you provided whitebear, here is his response:

Not implausible. It's 119 LEDs on a 16" long fixture. What they aren't telling you is that it's probably running 45 degree optics to hit those numbers. It's a really high density array. If they used the same spacing that we normally use for the LEDs, the PAR numbers would be dramatically lower.

I feel like a naysayer and a downer btw :(

Dont be sorry vangvace. Really appreciate the input. ..btw the link to the LED seller did not work. :p
Even if it is concentrated, at $200-$300 a pop, you could get 2 of these and still be at par with T5 VHO initial costs. I believe Pacific Sun also uses 1w cree lamps. Their par values were pretty nice at 24" depth. (Again no clue regarding longevity).. but my time horizon is around 2 years tops.

Whitebear: The prime problem to expect is that your light fixture konks off in one year. This is a very new technology, and the guys might be overdriving the LEDs to get the par numbers. Atleast a year of guarantee has to be gotten.

mfisher: the only thing my father ever taught me was high school math and physics :mad: ... Good luck to me trying to use that in this hobby ::)

Trying to resurrect a dormant thread because I got some updates:

I spoke at length with a CA based company called LEDwholesellers yesterday about two off the shelf products:

1. Aquarium Coral Reef Tank High Power LED Grow Light 120W:
http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=512
1s7i-2l.jpg

Pros: a.Finished product with advertised PAR values of 182 at 24"
b.Has 1 year warranty on all parts (leds fans etc)
c.At $300 this is at a good price point since an Ice cap 250W MH retrofit kit is $260 odd.
d.The standard bevy of advantages that LED lights are supposed to have
Cons: Doesn't use optics so SPS/clams may be have to be kept in the top 18"-12"
Not made in US, but warranty is provided by the CA company

2. WHITE + BLUE LED Aquarium Reef corals grow light Panelhttp://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=407
2510W+B.jpg

Pros: a.Uses optics so better penetration expected
b.Has a year warranty
c.Cheaper than above option

Cons: a. Perhaps 2 of these replaces 1 of the above for evenness in lighting
b. Not a finished product yet however user might get a "Guinea Pig" discount
c. Doesn't include housing fan etc

With 1 year warranty at the $300 the first model is going to be tough to pass up. I am going to get one module for my 40G tall tank (24" height) and see how my shrooms and acans respond to it. Will update this space once that is done.

Note: Comparing coral responses to light, my 1 X 250W MH blows the coral response from my 4XT5 out of the window. So not super keen on getting T5s and for my 90G.