• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Miracle Mud or Fiji mud

Why does this have to be changed out annually? Could I just layer new mud on top of old mud?

I'm assuming they reach capacity and begin leaching nutrients....?

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Because the beneficial trace elements it provides gets depleted and it usually turns into a detritus trap - IMHO I wouldn't even consider putting Miracle Mud in a refugium anymore - it's an out-dated product and it's real benefits are questionable. If you really want a substrate for your refugium, try to get kitty litter clay, some would say it's the same thing as miracle mud but I would just grab rubble rock for a refugium and call it a day if i were gonna set up a tank.

Man the opinions on miracle mud are polarizing in the hobby world....I guess a lot of that has to do with sponsorships

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I don't think it has to do with sponsorship, it just has to do with expectations. If you want to put in all the work maintaining it, then go for it. However, realize if you do not replace it annually it will become a detritus trap and it will raise your nitrates and phosphates. So you have to decide first if you want to deal with it. It is not a necessary thing to run a reef tank, so again a luxury if you want to use it.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Dredging up this old post.....

I know folks have mixed reviews on the miracle mud but are there any folks around still using the stuff? I have been kicking around the idea for my next build so I wanted to see what their thoughts on it are.