• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mix reef for real?!!

I would like to see those real mix reef out there with full colony’s of SPS-LPS. And I mean full colony as that I usually see it’s maybe a SPS dominant tank with some LPS here and there, usually small Frags.
Or the opposite LPS dominant with some small SPS Frags..
if you have a real stable mix reef could you please add some pictures and parameter because there were I want to go.
I also noticed people have deferent system Like Frag tank just to keep this types happy.
Any information will be well appreciated thanks

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
when i first started getting into saltwater i met this guy on Manhattan reefs told me to come by for some free corals at this his in south jersey boy let me tell you
400+ gallon custom tank thing was massive biggest reef ive seen the whole back portion was SPS and the front was LPS not even kidding guy had a basketball sized hammer just ripped off a branch for me like it was nothing.
thing was beautiful

I’m sure people here in njrc have this mixed tanks.
I’ll like to see how they get it done because I kill my red goniopora When getting parameter and flow right for SPS .
I noticed hammer and Frogspawn doesn’t even notice the changes.
Let’s see how has done it and let’s see what we can learn from them

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
So a mixed reef tank is the hardest salt water tank to maintain. I just setup my tank and I decided not to do a mixed reef. I decided to do more LPS. I have a few easy
Sps on the top of the rock work. But if they die I won’t replace them with more sps.

For me I like the movement of LPS. I also like the different colors. I find it easier to keep LPS happy. I add Zoas on some of the rocks on the bottom this allows me to give splash of colors in different places.

Since I have a few frag tanks I can dedicate one of the tanks
Just to grow out sps. In that frag tank I can control light and flow to make sps happy. For me the instant gratification I get from a lps coral is better than waiting for a 1/2 inch frag of sps to grow.

If you decide to still do a mixed reef. Then you need
To make sure you have different
Zones in your tank. With different light intensity and flow intensity. Led lights work best for this application. You can run one of your lights at 100% and keep the sps happy.
Then run another light at 60% and keep LPS happy with less flow.

Sorry for the crappy picture. I still run a full spectrum during the day. The blue light only comes on in the morning and afternoon. I also don’t have any filter on my phone.

Attachments

• 783FA050-D739-48FB-9921-CE0164B110B9.jpeg
    783FA050-D739-48FB-9921-CE0164B110B9.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
So a mixed reef tank is the hardest salt water tank to maintain. I just setup my tank and I decided not to do a mixed reef. I decided to do more LPS. I have a few easy
Sps on the top of the rock work. But if they die I won’t replace them with more sps.

For me I like the movement of LPS. I also like the different colors. I find it easier to keep LPS happy. I add Zoas on some of the rocks on the bottom this allows me to give splash of colors in different places.

Since I have a few frag tanks I can dedicate one of the tanks
Just to grow out sps. In that frag tank I can control light and flow to make sps happy. For me the instant gratification I get from a lps coral is better than waiting for a 1/2 inch frag of sps to grow.

If you decide to still do a mixed reef. Then you need
To make sure you have different
Zones in your tank. With different light intensity and flow intensity. Led lights work best for this application. You can run one of your lights at 100% and keep the sps happy.
Then run another light at 60% and keep LPS happy with less flow.

Sorry for the crappy picture. I still run a full spectrum during the day. The blue light only comes on in the morning and afternoon. I also don’t have any filter on my phone.

I think that is what makes it interesting!! To go for the nicest system you could accomplish

erics210

NJRC Member
how big is that tank
Red Sea s500
So Main display is 115 gallons or so, and sump is another 35.
But I have it tied in with the frag tank beside it so another 35 gallons added to the system.

Its actually a downgrade in size. My original Salt tank was a 210 Oceanic started January 13, 2016.
Joined the club shortly after.

Just hooked SumpnFish up with a few dozen corals to get his 110 pennisula going and still overcrowded. Sure Mike will help me with that problem a bit more.
I refer to his tank as the Noah's Ark tank, gets 2 of everything...lol
Wanna thin it out a bit more but with RAP approaching...everyone seems to be saving their money.

I will be a nice cheaper option the next few weeks AFTER RAP is over and people have sticker shock. lol

I am in North NJ, I am now culturing my own Phyto and Pods so if in the area, keep me in mind for those as well. 07628

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Red Sea s500
So Main display is 115 gallons or so, and sump is another 35.
But I have it tied in with the frag tank beside it so another 35 gallons added to the system.

Its actually a downgrade in size. My original Salt tank was a 210 Oceanic started January 13, 2016.
Joined the club shortly after.

Just hooked SumpnFish up with a few dozen corals to get his 110 pennisula going and still overcrowded. Sure Mike will help me with that problem a bit more.
I refer to his tank as the Noah's Ark tank, gets 2 of everything...lol
Wanna thin it out a bit more but with RAP approaching...everyone seems to be saving their money.

I will be a nice cheaper option the next few weeks AFTER RAP is over and people have sticker shock. lol

I am in North NJ, I am now culturing my own Phyto and Pods so if in the area, keep me in mind for those as well. 07628
oo definitely will be interested in pod seeding my new tank im hunting for some cheap dry rock right now people going crazy with the pricing i was buying 75 cents a lb last year now its triple that

erics210

NJRC Member
oo definitely will be interested in pod seeding my new tank im hunting for some cheap dry rock right now people going crazy with the pricing i was buying 75 cents a lb last year now its triple that
If you want nice rock, talk to Sumpnfishy. He would probably sell it for cost(from BRS). Has alot of extra from his new build.
I purchased 8,000 pods a week or so ago. 2,000 for Sumpnfishy, 1,000 into my sump/system...and 5,000 into my pod hatchery.
Keeping them well fed and happy.
So in a few weeks my quantity should increase.