• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mixing sand

Hello reef members,

I know everyone faces this problem in their aquarium. Bare spots, where sand is pushed away due to wave pumps. In my tank I have sugar fine sand and in the center of the tank all my sand is pushed out.

I purchased a 40 pounds of Caribbean Sea Reef sand, but there a lot of big chucks. I'm not sure if it was a good move and consider if i should remove it and add a different brand or size.

Any advice will help and thanks for your time.

Here a before and after shot
uploadfromtaptalk1462537267218.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1462537275890.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't think mixing sand will hurt anything, my last tank tank i actually had to use rubble rock as i couldn't get anything to stay in one corner. Same thing on my new tank, but with the way it's built into the wall, you don't notice unless you get really close.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
A lot of people mix sands as they want different textures in there sand bed. That being said, that looks really chunky which potentially could be a nitrate trap over time. That can be avoided with maintenance and a clean up crew, but something to keep in mind.

I don't think mixing sand will hurt anything, my last tank tank i actually had to use rubble rock as i couldn't get anything to stay in one corner. Same thing on my new tank, but with the way it's built into the wall, you don't notice unless you get really close.
That what's worry me, the build up of nitrates in the tank. I think I might add another 20 lbs of Tropic Eden Reef Flakes to fill in the gaps.

Last edited:

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A bare spot isn't going to contribute more to nitrate build up. Not that i'm aware of at least. I only put the rubble rock there to hide the bottom of the tank, for looks.

A lot of people mix sands as they want different textures in there sand bed. That being said, that looks really chunky which potentially could be a nitrate trap over time. That can be avoided with maintenance and a clean up crew, but something to keep in mind.
Hhmmm....I was debating if I should add additional 20-40 lbs of Tropic Eden Reef Flakes to fill in the gaps of the Reef Sand. As for my clean up crew I might have to order larger hermit crabs, snails, and star fishes to dig in to this sand.

A bare spot isn't going to contribute more to nitrate build up. Not that i'm aware of at least. I only put the rubble rock there to hide the bottom of the tank, for looks.
Oh okay thanks

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Hermits and snails work great (we love nasasrius snails for this). I would avoid the sand sifting stars, they are too much for our tanks. Adding in the reef flakes I think is a good idea, IIRC a lot of people on here have used them.