• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Monti cap growing out of water

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a monti cap in my tank that has grown like mad. I bought it from a fellow reefer as a 2" frag and it has become a large centerpiece in my tank( gonna try to remember to measure it tomorrow). It is now growing out of the water. It has grown almost 1/8" above the waterline. I assume that this is due to the ripple effect that the flow creates in the tank is keeping it wet. At some point I would think that it will stop growing or grow horizontally across the surface. What will happen to it and is it in any danger like this? Moving it is really out of the question, but if I have to frag the tall part I will to make sure I run into no problems with it.

Taz

C

concept3

The cap will form a plate that will span accross the surface of the water. It's kinda cool but remember that you may get some top parts that will die off unless it's constantly kept wet by your waves. As the top gets bigger, it may shade the lower shelves, so keep that in mind too.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for the reply Merv, that is what I thought. I think it would be cool to form a flat plate across the water, but I will be afraid of shadowing. The thing is already 9" across and almost 6"tall in the shape of a bowl with many scrolling petals making up the shape. It is so cool remembering what it started from. It is one of my best grown pieces so I don't really want to break into it and I definitely don't want to have any die off If I remember to get a picture later I'll post

Taz