• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Monti growing towards green slimmer

I have an encrusting monti that is quickly growing towards my green slimmer acro, and visa versa. Is it usually recommended to move corals around to accommodate growth, or just let the corals sort it out on there own.C32074DE-66CC-4AB9-818E-B715813CDAE4.jpeg

There are two schools of thought on this. The first is let nature sort it self out the two colonies will find a happy medium with the thought it's best not to intervene for the mere fact that in those positions those two corals are doing well enough to grow in the manner they are so moving them could stund that.
The second thought on this is to move the coral you like the least or the one you suspect will do more damage to the other.

Some times corals growing torwards each other are doing so to fight while at other times once they sense the presence of another coral they will stop growing in ita direction and begin a new growth pattern in another.

Sorry this answer couldn't be more helpful but this is really on you to decide what is best

Would it be best to move the green slimme
There are two schools of thought on this. The first is let nature sort it self out the two colonies will find a happy medium with the thought it's best not to intervene for the mere fact that in those positions those two corals are doing well enough to grow in the manner they are so moving them could stund that.
The second thought on this is to move the coral you like the least or the one you suspect will do more damage to the other.

Some times corals growing torwards each other are doing so to fight while at other times once they sense the presence of another coral they will stop growing in ita direction and begin a new growth pattern in another.

Sorry this answer couldn't be more helpful but this is really on you to decide what is best
Good answer. My main concern would be the monti encrusting over the green slimmer. At the current growth rate, I probably have a little more than a week before they make contact.

I don’t know the answer. But if they are allowed to make contact. They wouldn’t just completely die. Correct? If that’s the case and they are growing so well I wouldn’t move them. I would wait and see. If one starts taking over the other then I’d say it’s decision time as to who should move. But if contact has the possibility of a catastrophic loss then by all means. Move something.

I don’t know the answer. But if they are allowed to make contact. They wouldn’t just completely die. Correct? If that’s the case and they are growing so well I wouldn’t move them. I would wait and see. If one starts taking over the other then I’d say it’s decision time as to who should move. But if contact has the possibility of a catastrophic loss then by all means. Move something.
In nature colonies literally sense the presence of another colony and send out sweeper and stinger tenticals in the direction of the other coral. This is a manner of warfare due to the fight for territory control. The corals most basic instinct is to continue to grow as fast as it can and to survive. In a sense it's kinda like a epic game of RISK spread out and take over territory. When it makes contact the two colonies will fight and the weaker will get stung on the leading edge which will either die or fall back. Eventually one colony can whipe out the other this all depends on the size of the two colonies at war. In this case I would move the slimmer to prevent potential lose. How ever the monti being the more hardy of the two it might be best to leave the slimmer alone and trim the monti

There’s no good way to trim the monti. It is encrusted on the rock. Sweeper tentacles shouldn’t be an issue with sps coral. There going to make contact within a few days. They are noticeably closer today than yesterday. If I observe one taking over the other, I will have to move the slimmer, and frag off any intrusive monti. Otherwise if there is no aggression, and they simply grow around each other, and that would be ideal.

I think when I said sweeper tenticals your picturing torch corals.. while SPS may not have the most noticable polyp extension they can still sting and on a micro level extend there own version of sweepers. They also produce a sorta chemical warfare when near other corals. Over all the decision is not easy and it would be ideal if they decide to basically create a no man's land between the two of them though that's not really the nature of the beast so to speak best case you monitor and see what happens if one starts to effect the other at that point you'll have a decision to make

I think when I said sweeper tenticals your picturing torch corals.. while SPS may not have the most noticable polyp extension they can still sting and on a micro level extend there own version of sweepers. They also produce a sorta chemical warfare when near other corals. Over all the decision is not easy and it would be ideal if they decide to basically create a no man's land between the two of them though that's not really the nature of the beast so to speak best case you monitor and see what happens if one starts to effect the other at that point you'll have a decision to make
Yes. That is very informative. That’s what I intend to do.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I got the same thing happening with a monti and an efflo. At this point I can't move either of them off as they are well encrusted on the rock, so I will let you know how it goes.

I would use kalk paste on that entrusting monti. It will eventually smother out that slimer.
Thanks for another option. The slimmer is encrusting pretty fast as well. It just hasn’t been in the tank as long. Also, my research indicates that the slimmer is a pretty aggressive coral. It actually does slime, as a defense. It certainly was sliming me, when I handled it. I suspect it might be able to hold its own against the monti. If not I’ll rescue the slimmer.

eholceker

NJRC Member
Thanks for another option. The slimmer is encrusting pretty fast as well. It just hasn’t been in the tank as long. Also, my research indicates that the slimmer is a pretty aggressive coral. It actually does slime, as a defense. It certainly was sliming me, when I handled it. I suspect it might be able to hold its own against the monti. If not I’ll rescue the slimmer.

Encrusting monti's will will grow over any acro. One of the worst things to mix in a tank with sticks.

Encrusting monti's will will grow over any acro. One of the worst things to mix in a tank with sticks.
Ok. I have kalk paste if needed. I have mostly sticks. I thought this was a plating coral when I bought it, but it has a tendency to encrust.

Here’s how it playing out so far. The slimmer is growing out over the monti, creating a shadow. The monti has not advanced much more towards the slimmer. I suspect it might grow towards the better lighted areas. 7729CC4C-BCB4-4853-8E80-82F09D8E29A3.jpeg

Eventually that monti is going to start growing up and eventually will overtake that efflo. Sunsets aren't as bad as rainbows but the encrusters are essentially the GSP's of sps corals.
I expected the same thing, but the opposite is currently happening, the monti is losing to the Efflo. The monti is growing out and to the sides instead.