• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

More Issues

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Something is wrong and no clue. Today my flame back Angel is missing. Never came out even at feeding time. So in 2 weeks 3 fish gone.
Since I came home on the 1st my skimmer has been going crazy. No sign of stress from fish or corals. Will do small water change and see if that helps.
Anyone have any ideas what's up?

erics210

NJRC Member
unfortunately you have pets. so a carpet surfer could quickly disappear...along with any evidence.

Sorry to hear.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
unfortunately you have pets. so a carpet surfer could quickly disappear...along with any evidence.

Sorry to hear.

Already thought of that. Just getting nervous cause its the third one.
1st was before Xmas, a diamond goby which ate all the pods I'm sure and did eat frozen. He was the last to eat so maybe starved?
The filefish I chalked up to it getting crazy glue stuck in its mouth. Even though I got the glue out what damage was done? Another slow eater and only small foods.
The Flameback I have 2 possibilities:
1) Jumped and dog or cat ate it. I looked and no where to be found on the floor.
2) Yesterday I was gone for 4 or 5 hours. Came home and tank had a white out. Return chamber in sump ran low and pushed micro bubbles into display. That along with skimmer acting up might have caused the fish to go hide but found its way into the nem and history.

I will test the water but coral and other fish look perfectly fine.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Already thought of that. Just getting nervous cause its the third one.
1st was before Xmas, a diamond goby which ate all the pods I'm sure and did eat frozen. He was the last to eat so maybe starved?
The filefish I chalked up to it getting crazy glue stuck in its mouth. Even though I got the glue out what damage was done? Another slow eater and only small foods.
The Flameback I have 2 possibilities:
1) Jumped and dog or cat ate it. I looked and no where to be found on the floor.
2) Yesterday I was gone for 4 or 5 hours. Came home and tank had a white out. Return chamber in sump ran low and pushed micro bubbles into display. That along with skimmer acting up might have caused the fish to go hide but found its way into the nem and history.

I will test the water but coral and other fish look perfectly fine.
i'm thinking your favorite cat ate em.....

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Still doesn't explain skimmer going off the rails.
Only thing is I manually top off and use concentrated water conditioner. Maybe to much this time and skimmer went nuts. I usually do 1g per day but I had o add 2g uopn return from vac. Who knows.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Here are the results of water testing. Nothing bad IMO; PH and Cal can be easily corrected.

PH - 7.7
Hardness / KH - 10
Calcium - 240ppm
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Ammonia - 0

I will do a 15 gallon water change tomorrow. I also placed a bag of carbon in the sump and replaced my GFO.

Last edited:

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Why are you using water conditioner?

No rodi? Are you using tap ?

I'd looking into a Triton test or ATI test see what's going on with the water since you've been using tap water all these years you might have a buildup of heavy metals and other stuff from the tap water in a tank I don't put a lot of faith in the Water Conditioner. I don't see how a couple drops of it can remove all the stuff in the tap water if it worked like that no one would have rodi units

Last edited:

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I'd looking into a Triton test or ATI test see what's going on with the water since you've been using tap water all these years you might have a buildup of heavy metals and other stuff from the tap water in a tank I don't put a lot of faith in the Water Conditioner. I don't see how a couple drops of it can remove all the stuff in the tap water if it worked like that know one would have rodi units

Exactly!!!!

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Tank has been up since Sep 2017 as I moved. The conditioner is to remove chlorimine mainly. It may remove some other stuff.
I use what the club had Fluval Aqua Plus. By no means does it replace an RO/DI. I would have to connect and reconnect every time I use it and the house / kitchen is small for that.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
15g water change done, filter dock replaced.
After adding the carbon and new GFO the skimmer calmed down last night. It's acting up a bit now after change. Will see what tomorrow brings.