• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mp40 or MP 60¿

Wondering if a single MP 40 along with an eheim 1262 will be enough flow in a 180 fowlr?

My overflow is on the left side wall so the eheim and mp40 would be pointing at one another as far as movement.

Or am I better off with a single MP 60?

I will have a lot of fish and think I do need a good amount of flow to help oxygenate the water. Just unsure id the 40 is enough or 60 is overkill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
For a FOWLR I will not waste the money on the Vortechs. Heck, I don't even have them on my reef tank :emmersed:.

Just get two Koralia Magnums, one on either side and you will be set. That is plenty of flow for a FOWLR.

If you can go bare bottom that is even better :) :)

Sunny

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree with Sunny….if you’ve got money to piss away on over-priced PH, then go with the vortechs. Otherwise, you’ve got a FOWL…..go with cheaper PH’s!

I agree with Sunny….if you’ve got money to piss away on over-priced PH, then go with the vortechs. Otherwise, you’ve got a FOWL…..go with cheaper PH’s!

I just wanted to keep the wires out of the tank is all, but yeah doesn't really make too much sense in that case. Now to figure out how to make covers so I can route the wires :X.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Now to figure out how to make covers so I can route the wires :X.

When I had my fish in a 20L I made a cover with the extra 1/4" mesh screen I had. For the heater and filter power cord, I cut 3 or 4 "squares" right next to each other in a straight row. This allowed me to pass the plug through but only have two 1"x1/4" hole in the screen, combined the the cord through it, was not big enough for a fish to get through and allowed the tank to be 100% covered. Only problem was I couldn't take the screen off without unplugging the pump and heater.

i know with ecotech you love them or hate them
i just put a mp10 on a 40 breeder that is holding fish for sale and i have to say i dont think i pissed money away i like not having wires and also the small foot print it has
do you need it no but it is nice if you have the money fo years i ran korallias worked fine but looked like ***
i run a 180 with two mp60 and am very happy with it very clean look when i look at my tank i do not want to see wires and huge powerheads all over

i know with ecotech you love them or hate them
i just put a mp10 on a 40 breeder that is holding fish for sale and i have to say i dont think i pissed money away i like not having wires and also the small foot print it has
do you need it no but it is nice if you have the money fo years i ran korallias worked fine but looked like ***
i run a 180 with two mp60 and am very happy with it very clean look when i look at my tank i do not want to see wires and huge powerheads all over

Want to give me one of your MP60? This is going to be a fowlr so I want it to look pretty, but I think $800 for a MP60 compared to $240 for the same flow w/ koralias is a bit extreme wire or no wire.

Although I think the fish would benefit potentially from random flow patterns. I also do not want to see my clowns being thrown across one end of the aquarium to the other.

I well always use my mp 60's cant give away
bit extreme yes but you were asking 40 or 60 so i gave my answer
to me looks matter i have to look at my tank every day and my clowns in the 180 are just fine with the flow
in the end i did the same thing and bought $240 worth of koralias then a year later bought the mp60's because i hated the look thats all

You should just drill the tank with a few intakes and do a closed loop with a SINGLE Reeflo Dart or Snapper. MORE than enough flow. Low electricity. If you use EYELET Bulkheads which have positionable outlets even better. NO wires At ALL.

Other wise... MP60 for a FOWLR.. I wouldn't piss away the money. Grab 2 Koralia Magnums and you should have plenty of flow. Grab 4 Koralia's and you have powerheads for LIFE as they pretty much have a lifetime warranty on them. Spend 200 on Koralias or magnums and the other 600 on fish....

I like where your head is at tri btw saw your thread tank looks awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks bro.. just trying to keep fish in ur tank and money in your pocket! btw. Angels or not I bet you can have a sick Palythoa Farm and grow sheets of Green Star Polyps and various other softies in your FOWLR. I think it would be awesome for you to get a golden moray eel and maybe a bluespot sting ray. OHHH and a fowlr isn't complete without a Harlequinn Tusk! No space for a FOWLR in my crib so i'm gonna live vicariously through yours! Call me when its feeding time!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/HAYWARD-Bulkhead-Fitting-3CEJ5?Pid=search

3CEJ1_AS01.jpg

Ya man! and you can feed it with a stick no dead mice to worry about. And you can drop in a little sand shark egg in there and when it gets too large give it to NYAquarium. Maybe a few frog figh.. if you want some awesome unique fish check out

divertom.com

He has Atlantic Native Angels and Tangs at darn reasonable prices!