• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

mp40 vs mp10.... please experienced feed back

i have recently come into possession of (2) mp10's and (1) mp40. my tank is a 125g (72x18x22?) i have a ton of rock. what i'd like some feed back on is.... i'm ditching my 7 y.o. koralias (a 3 and a 4) i always thought my tank lacked for flow. do people that own the vortecs or know alot about them think it would be best to use the 3 i have, or sell one of the mp10's and use 2 mp40's and one mp10, or sell the mp40 and use (4) mp10's? i hope this makes sense... whatever i'm gonna do, i wanna do it soon. any feed back would be appreciated.

If I recal correctly the mp10s will not work or won't work well on glass as thick as yours. I would sell the two mp10s and get another 40

I would still go with two 40's. I had a 10 on my 75gal and it would slide out of position because the magnet wasn't strong enough. I can't imagine on a 180. A light breeze would knock it off. It might "function" but not well.

Two mp40'a on a 180gal in addition to whatever return pump flow you are getting should be more than enough for most tanks.

i'm thinking that is the way to go, after what you 2 said plus based on the recommendation of my very trusted lfs (aquatic obsessions) i think i'm gonna go that route.

If you have a controller of some kind, I highly recommend that as well because it lets you vary the vortechs settings throughout the day. I have a 180 and use 2 MP40s as well.

You can sell the mp 10s and get enough for a 40 also. Even if it's too much which I doubt its better to have too much power th3n not enough with these because they are controllable. This is why I went with a 40 and not a 10 on my 40B. Plus if you ever upgrade you may only need one additional pump rather than 2 or 3 new ones

Sent from my galaxy s4

I currently run 3 mp10s on my 55 and will transfer them when of I upgrade to a 120. I like the ideal of random flow from all directions and not just left or right. JMO.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Two 40s on a 6 foot is great the 10s are not big enough to push the water.

Actually the 10s wont even sit on the glass... 1/2 glass is too thick for the 10s.. just found this out yesterday

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
I'd just buy an extra mp40 and keep the three you already have.:eek::eek: This way you could throw the 10s on the back wall and have the 40s on the ends. If that's not an option go with two 40s. These things put out a lot of flow. I run a 10 and a 40 on my 75. Plus a have a tunze nano wave box. I like flow.