• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

MP40 Wetsides Ruined!!!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Did I ruin two MP40 wetsides?

I'm pooping in my pants. The only thing I did differently (and for the first time) was to soak them in dilute bleach solution (a cap full in a pint of water).

Here's what I found.....The wetside spinning in its entirety in the tank. To clarify, the entire wetside was spinning. I pulled it out and went to put the other spare one in that I cleaned the same way, and the propeller was seized. So I first pulled this one apart. The magnet was swollen, and the back side of the magnet was de-laminating. I always thought this was one solid magnet, but it now appears to be laminated to a piece of plastic. The second one was the exact same way. Here are some pictures.

Has anyone else ever soak their wetsides in bleach?

Luckily I have an old Koralia K4 to hold me over as I decide what to do.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for the responses and the generous offers everyone.......well, maybe with the exception of Ed, please, Gyre! :rolleyes:

I've learned a very expensive lesson today.

The magnets, which I thought were one magnet....all magnet/metal, are in fact encased in plastic all the way around. The integrity of that plastic was compromised, and the bleach most likely accelerated the oxidation of the magnet within.

I pulled one of the plastic pieces off, and sure enough, major oxidation (scaling rust).

I've just ordered one replacement wetside.....it's the newer QD wetside that supposedly comes apart easier....but fits the older models as well. One thing is for sure, that magnet will never see vinegar, bleach or anything more then a mild wiping with a soft cloth.

Had the same thing happen to me. Bought a new magnet and was good as new. All you need is the magnet. The rest of the wet side is fine. It's pretty cheap too on the ecotech site.

To the fan calling for the gyre, my mp 40 was an mp 20 and I estimate it was chugging along for a solid 5-6 years prior to this happening. The gyre's are getting what? About 6-9............months? :)

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
John, I was surprised to see this.....that is, the magnets available. I remember a number of years ago someone cracking their magnet, and not being able to purchase just the magnet.

Now I just went on the Ecotech site and could not find the magnets. HERE are the six items that I found were available for an MP40.

Do you have a link?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Wow that's crazy Paul. I'm going to really inspect mine tomorrow. I'm not sure why but they sell just the magnet and propeller (they call it the propeller assembly) for the mp10's but I don't see it for the 40's.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My gyre is over a year old. And still pushes more flow than two of your rusty mp40s.

Ed, I shouldn't be complaining.....seven years on this magnificent powerhead from Ecotech Marine.....seven! When you have seven years on that Gyre, we'll talk! If you wish, I'll send you an empty box to collect all the broken parts you'll collect over the next six years. After this six years, you can bring that box of parts to my house to see my thirteen year old Vortech still running with that new wetside I just ordered. :D

horseplay

NJRC Member
Paul - are you saying your wet side lasted 7 years? I am considering getting a Vortech but $75 wet side replacement is not too cool. The Gyre does come with a set of spare. I have quite a few Jebaos but it seems the flow is reduced as they age even after a fresh cleaning.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow that's crazy Paul. I'm going to really inspect mine tomorrow. I'm not sure why but they sell just the magnet and propeller (they call it the propeller assembly) for the mp10's but I don't see it for the 40's.

The MP10 and MP40 are designed differently. The MP10 magnet, plate and impeller are intergral components,
MP10_rotor1.jpg

while the MP40, everything is its own separate part. It can be totally taken apart.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul - are you saying your wet side lasted 7 years? I am considering getting a Vortech but $75 wet side replacement is not too cool. The Gyre does come with a set of spare. I have quite a few Jebaos but it seems the flow is reduced as they age even after a fresh cleaning.

Yes, seven years.....and here is my justification for not stomping around like a two year old with a tantrum. I purchased four Koralia Evolution 1400 powerheads a number of years ago, and I think the last one died at about a years time. That was a $50 year per powerhead. I now had this powerhead for 7 years, and at 75 dollars, that comes out to 75/7 = $10.71 year per powerhead. So I'm ahead of the game. :D

horseplay

NJRC Member
This makes sense. I bought a few Jebaos for about $75 each. Although all of them are still working the flow is reduced. The propeller look perfectly fine maybe it's a lubrication issue? I have a Gyre as well and it has worked well for me but it's only one year. I managed to break one blade maybe from cleaning. Have not even used the spare set of blades yet. IMO the Gyre and Vortech are complementing products so you might want to give it a try. I would love to try a Vortech this year.

My gyre 150 just started to fall apart this week after about 9 months of use. Cleaned regularly. After taking it apart, its really poorly built. Will not buy again.

arvin

NJRC Member
I had two MP60 wetsides for which the magnetic casing came apart and I trashed them. Wish I knew that Ecotech sells the magnetic frame separately! I would have saved about 85 bucks.

arvin

NJRC Member
regardless of how much water Gyre pushes, I dont like its looks. Too bulky for my taste. I had Jebaos for a while. It's alright in the looks department and pushes a crazy amount of water. But they broke after about a year. Committed for Vortechs for life. Unless someone invents something cooler.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
The MP10 and MP40 are designed differently. The MP10 magnet, plate and impeller are intergral components,
MP10_rotor1.jpg

while the MP40, everything is its own separate part. It can be totally taken apart.

Paul when you get the new wet side let me know if it's the same. I believe the new qd wet sides are built like the mp10's now.