• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

MP40's still the way to go?

I have 2 MP40QD's. They are nice and quiet. They will still link to the Apex WXM. But seeing how Ecotech and Neptune are not playing nice anymore these may be the last Ecotech pumps to work with the Apex. If you are plan on running an Apex I'd look at he WAV pumps. It would be cheaper to buy the set than run 2 MP40s. But you will have the wire in the tank.

horseplay

NJRC Member
If you have the money to burn go with 4 vortexes otherwise go with jebaos. I have used jebaos for years never had any problem. Vortechs have nicer flow than jebaos but do get noisier over time. The gyre is pretty useless in a 180. I have run all 3 in my 4 ft tank. Gyre seems to have lost power after cleaning and also when the corals start to fill in can't push water across the tank anymore. So I like the mp40 or jebao rw8's and have a lot of them.

I have one MP40 with the battery backup, for that alone it is one of a kind(unfortunately expensive). I had a GFI go and didn't have the battery backup....while replacing my fish and crying I bought the battery backup. I spoke to Will at AO and he is pushing the Sicce powerheads at the moment as Koralia now suckish, Jaebo same, the Cobalt Maxijets are decent but the other suck. Sicce powerheads are a bit more but come with a great warranty 3 years and 5 I think I you register them. I have the the Sicce P2500 on my skimmer and the products are very good and energy efficient.

PS 25% of MJ Pumps + 40% off Accel Aquatics Reactors

Last edited:

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
I know people like to put down Jabao for reliability but I just signed into my Fishstreet account to check the dates. I have 2 rw-20s running from November 2014 and 1 wp-60 running from January 2014. For $80 a pump I think they are well worth the money. The wp-60 needs more maintenance then the rw's but they keep on running. I did have one wp that went bad and Fishstreet replaced it free of charge.
With that being said I would love to get the new MPQ's as I hear they are not as noisy as the old ones

Don't want to high jack this thread, but didn't want to start a new one for a related question. I just got a new Mp QD40 will it work directly with my Apex Jr. or do I need to get the
wxm module.

Don't want to high jack this thread, but didn't want to start a new one for a related question. I just got a new Mp QD40 will it work directly with my Apex Jr. or do I need to get the
wxm module.
Not sure if the wxm module work with the apex jr, but you need it to communicate wirelessly with the MPs

wxm module.
No it will not work without the WXM. That is how the Apex talks to the Vortechs. (Wireless X expansion Module)