• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone else use these to clean the glass on thier tanks? Are their any known side affects from long term use?

They has them at Home Depot on sale for $.75 so I picked up a bunch. They work great and I tossed it after use

DangerDave

NJRC Member
If they work for your tank, you can get a much better price. That is just a branded version of a melamine sponge. I've gotten 100 packs from amazon for $7. They help make boat clean up better.

Dave

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I would be careful because it's my understanding all they really are is very very very fine sandpaper and could be slowly eating away at your glass. Again just what I have heard I never used one

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I have, and it worked...that's why i wanna know if its bad. I read on other forums about folks using so i took the plunge

You can use them on the inside. I don't know about it wearing down your glass it's a soft sponge.

Last edited:

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Yes, it’s like really super fine sandpaper in a sense, which is why it works. If you have a acrylic tank, I would do some research before cleaning the display panels with it.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Would I use it inside my tank...no but that's just me. Here are the ingredients for Mr Clean Eraser Original:

Melamine

On its own, melamine is just an organic base in the form of white crystals. But when combined with other compounds, it can transform into a plush foam—the Magic Eraser—with a sandpaper-like microscopic texture. You can use it to scrub off sticky dirt and scum from all kinds of surfaces; just avoid using it on delicate or glossy exteriors. Melamine’s high nitrogen content also makes it a useful flame retardant and fertilizer. In 2008, Chinese fraudsters used melamine to make milk and infant formula appear to have a higher protein content, killing six babies and making nearly 300,000 others sick. Two of the perpetrators were executed.

Formaldehyde

This stuff is best known as the smelly liquid that’s used to preserve dead animals for decades and possibly forever. By itself, formaldehyde can be dangerous and sometimes lethal—irritating the skin, corroding internal tissue, and even causing cancer. But if you mix it with melamine, the result is a tough resin in which those toxic effects are neutralized. High tensile strength makes the resin a suitable material for dinnerware and countertops. Force gas bubbles to form in the resin during the manufacturing process and you end up with Mr. Clean’s melamine foam.

Sodium Bisulfite

Alone, this stuff has antimicrobial properties; it’s excellent as a preservative for winemaking. Here, it can help boost resin production, but it’s best used sparingly—sulfite-modified foams are less stable and can emit formaldehyde under certain conditions.

Water