• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Muscle's 20H Tank Build

I started this tank back in July of 2017 and ran into some problems when doing so. I originally did exactly what you weren't suppose to do. I went way too fast. I started stocking fish and a CUC prematurely and was unpleasantly blessed with every horrific disease that you could imagine. I had fish with Ich, Brooke, and Velvet. I couldn't get any of it under control and my water chemistry was completely off as well.

Shortly after I discovered Ocean Image Aquatics with my step-brother, @raccioppi83. I went to Alex he was the one that got me absolutely fascinated with corals. As soon as he turned over a torch frag it closed up and I was instantly swooned. So, without telling him my tank struggles, I purchased a GSP rock and put it in my tank. It stayed open for the first day and after that I never noticed it open again. I was devastated. From this point on I knew something had to be done. This is when I finally admitted to Alex of OiA that there was a serious problem with my tank parameters and fish. He suggested to me to do a 100% water change and start fresh. Willing to fix my tank by any means necessary at that point to save my GSP, I listened to him and my tank has looked great ever since.

Tank: 20 High
Lights: 2 Current Orbit LOOP
Power head: Orbit LOOP Power head
Live Rock: ~20lbs
Live Sand: 20lbs

Corals: Frogspawn, Wall Hammer, Torch, Favias, Duncans, GSP, Zoas, Palys, Daisies, Candy Canes

Livestock: 2 Clowns, 1 Splendid Dottyback, 1 Highfin Goby, 1 Randall's Pistol Shrimp (Martin), 1 Cleanershrimp, 1 Featherduster (William), Flower nem

CUC: Emerald Crab, Nassarius Snails, Margarita Snails, Hermit Crab

Pictures soon to follow! Stay tooned!

Last edited:

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Welcome [emoji4] Glad you’re posting on here! We’re all looking to help.

Do you/ have you tested your water? If not, I highly recommend getting kits for alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, phosphate, and nitrate.

Definitely post as many pictures as possible, it’s always great to see another member’s tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Will always have a spot in my heart for a 20g high, it was my/our first tank. One of the nice things about it as you learned is it is very easy to hit the reset button on. We never drilled ours either and just ran HOB fuges and skimmers. Worked out really well.

Looks really nice