• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My 280g build....

Congratulations, Steve!
I am sorry to see you and your family leaving NJ, but I am very happy for you that the move is progressing so well.
Good luck!

Nice power move enlisting your son's support! Its a tough call whether to go for that extra depth or length. I could see 48 inches opening up some great aquascape opportunities but being tricky to reach to the back unless it is open on the front and back. Are you planning on building a home there and doing another in wall like your current system? The 24 inch hight should allow you to reach the bottom and be easier to light. My current tank is 25 inches high. I can reach the bottom anywhere in the tank although I'm always coming upstairs with wet sleeves. That reminds me I better pick up a pair of tongs. :)

I read back through your build thread to start planning how I want to plumb it and get together a list of what I'll need. The overflow uses 1.5 inch bulk heads correct? How about the returns? I found a guy by me that can modify the stand so it will fit into my basement. Can 2 or 3 guys move it without to much problem? Since the stand won't be ready when the movers deliver the tank to my basement I'll need to solicit some muscle to help move the tank onto the stand anyway. I was leaning hard towards just building a wood stand ahead of time so i wouldn't have to worry about it but with a tank of this size I just would prefer having the piece of mind of the steel stand.

Hey Mike,
the bulkheads in the overflow are 1.5" and the returns are 1". I might have some extras laying around that I will toss in. I said in my thread on RC that I sleep better at night knowing that my tank is on a steel stand and someone said my house is made out of wood so why doesnt that bother me. Typical response from an RC guy right? In the end I like the steel better since the tank weighs 650lbs empty, water will be another 2400 lbs +- for sand and rocks so you are at 3000lbs right there. 2 or 3 guys will definitely be able to move the stand since 2 guys delivererd it to me.

Thanks Steve

Do you still have that bottle of Scotch from when the movers finagled it into your basement? I'll be going through it twice and am not sure that I'll be able to watch either time lol.

Speaking of the movers have you given any thought as to when you'd like it out? I can schedule it a week before you close to give you enough time to deal with your livestock or sooner if you want to get it off your plate. Im flexible just let me know what works for you and I'll talk to the movers.

Thanks Steve

Do you still have that bottle of Scotch from when the movers finagled it into your basement? I'll be going through it twice and am not sure that I'll be able to watch either time lol.

Speaking of the movers have you given any thought as to when you'd like it out? I can schedule it a week before you close to give you enough time to deal with your livestock or sooner if you want to get it off your plate. Im flexible just let me know what works for you and I'll talk to the movers.

The scotch is gone but there are a couple of bars just behind my back yard gates that we can go hang at while the guys from Moorish do their thing!!!! I will let you know about the date. We have a little more time than I thought. I am closing on the 28th of this month but got the buyers to let me stay in the house until 7/15 rent free!!!! They might want the tank out before closing though so I will let you know. I need to start selling the fish in the next day or so once I get the rocks out of the tank it will be easier to go fishing!!!

So the tank is gone...picked up by Mike S yesterday and now in its new home. Its definitely been weird walking into my basement and seeing a huge hole in the wall where the tank was. I have had a lot of fun and frustrations setting it up and I know Mike will take great care of the tank. I want to thank everyone on here for all of your help and advice. We will be in NJ until the end of July and then its down to Mount Pleasant, SC. We hope to close on our new home by 9/1 and hopefully a new tank will be in place shortly after that. I am kicking around different dimension and volume ideas right now. As I said in a previous post, I plan to keep my membership paid and active with NJRC since the local club isnt that active and the next closest club is about 3 hrs away from where we will be.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Unfortunately the reef club in the Charleston area is not very active and there is only 1 LFS in the area so a lot of my purchasing will be online or road trips to NJ for a pork roll, egg and cheese sandwich and some fish/corals.
LOL.........We can ship pork roll with frags for you, good luck in your new adventure

Unfortunately the reef club in the Charleston area is not very active and there is only 1 LFS in the area so a lot of my purchasing will be online or road trips to NJ for a pork roll, egg and cheese sandwich and some fish/corals.
LOL.........We can ship pork roll with frags for you, good luck in your new adventure

The pork roll can be the heat pack for the winter months!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Charelston sounds a little like "South" Jersey. :smug: