• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

my 40 breeder plans

i am up grading my tank to a 40 breeder and this is a little drawing i made of my plans so far. what do you think? what size tubeing should i use? the sump i plan to use is a 20 high, i know not the best tank for a sump but i have it laying around and it's better that a 10. as you can see i plan on drilling the tank. my main doubt is about the overflow since i have never done one through a bulkhead and everything.

scan.jpg

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nick,

The tubing size you need depends on the type of pump you are running. You should also add a ball valve on your return line. You should try and run the maximum diameter the pump can handle.

You should also make those 2 ball valves at the top union ball valves or at least put unions near them. I also think you should try and get a Y type adapter instead of the T, that will really kill your flow. I'm also not sure about your overflow... Do you plan on just having a bulkhead with a strainer and connect it with PVC? No overflow box? It's kind of hard to tell by that drawing.

yea that little box is a strainer box and the line coming off the T is airline tubing. o and i plan on putting my skimmer and stuff like that in the sump. i don't know exactly what pump i am going to use. what pump would you suggest? i have 3 mj tunze mods for flow along with the return, so the pump doesn't need to be huge. as an off topic side note, who ever said they were getting 1000 GPH out of these mods must have diff pumps then i do because i am deffenitaly not getting that much.