• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

my 55g

heres some pics of my lr set up i got my 48 inch t5 its amazing.

100_2381.jpg

100_2384.jpg

100_2385.jpg

100_2387.jpg

100_2388.jpg

100_2389.jpg

does anyone have some helpful hints about cycleing my tank like how long to run the lights for? or anything else?

thanks its crushed coral by the way. i used 2 different kinds a white and a like tanner color. how do the lights effect the lr.

Nice job on the rockscape and the rest of the setup. You will need to establish a light cycle as you have colalline algae already which is great. I would suggest getting some sort of timer so that everything is just automated. Makes life much easier IMO.

Reading about fish is half the fun of the tank.
First in the fish forum there is a list of bad fish.
Second you cannot have really big fish so that scratches some.
Third try to decide if you are having corals or not.
If yes then you will eliminate non reef safe fish.
Fourth decide if you want aggressive, semi aggressive, or peaceful fish.
Fifth start reading about different fish, I would read a book or two at least.
Then start shopping the fun part. ;D

Looks very nice, nice LR, but I must say are you sure you want to go with crushed coral? Many people say it's just a nitrate factory, I believe oyu'd be far better off with silica free sand/ aragonite instead.

Just google "crushed coral" do a little reading.

My 2 cents.

i have been over at pets plus in lawrence they have been really helpful with everything so far. do i have to get my water chemistry checked before i get a fish? i added a blackground tell me how you like it. i think it contrasts nicely.

100_2394.jpg

100_2395.jpg

100_2396.jpg

i want to eventually have 2 clowns a normal false percula and the a black and white false percula.
but i read that you are supposed to put clowns in together for best results do i have to do that or can i get the regular one then the black and white later? if i need to get them together im gonna get them both later and maybe get a yellow tail damsel but i read that they are very territorial so that might not be a good first fish does any one have experience with them? im thinking about using one of those bacterial accelerators do they actually help or no? i was thinking of getting a tang too is it a goood idea to get one of them first? also if i get a clown now will he find the anamone that i want to put in later? i have a ton of questions i couldnt find answers for in i my book sry.;D

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You’ve asked a bunch of questions.

I wish to tackle what I feel is the most critical.

Yes, you do have to test before you add fish. I’m hoping you’re testing frequently now. At a minimum, you should be testing and measuring salinity, ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and alkalinity. Magnesium would be nice too, as it ties in with alkalinity. Your LFS should have a kit that includes most (if not all) of these tests. Salinity is determined by measuring specific gravity typically by either using a hydrometer or refractometer. (Déjà vu my early days when we had to buy our own pycnometers for determining specific gravity. None of this looking through your “kaleidoscope” to have an immediate answer…you kids today have it easy…but I digress).

Get a test kit and test frequently! Your fish will love you for it.

The rock looks great and contrasts well with the blk. background. Not sure about bio spira for a marine tank- I used it to help cycle my fresh tank and it seemed to work, but you have to get it from a RELIABLE LFS because if it hasn't been kept refrigerated constantly it will go bad.

i went and used the bio spira we'll see if it works or not hopefully it does. do clowns have to be introduced at the sametime so they dont fight?

i getting a golden like algae of some sort is this ok for my tank? its growing on some rocks. it kinda looks like the coraline but its gold colored.any idea what this is?