• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My 7 Gallon Minibow

Hopefully this works-I've never posted a photo on a forum before. Here is a full tank shot of my 7 gallon minibow that was set up in early June. This used to be the minibow sitting on the counter at Aqua Oceans for oh so many years.

100_0642.jpg

Eric

nice!.... Looks good.. Simple, Easy on the eyes.. Coralline is growing in. Tell us a little about it and yourself. What you got running in there? Water changes? How often, etc...

WELCOME TO NJRC!

Thanks, I was kinda nervous about posting and screwing it up. My name is Eric and I'm a reefaholic. I was without tanks for about 2 years then the hobby sucked me back in again. Some folks may remember me from a couple of years ago when I sold off everything I had-BIG mistake!! But now for the tank. I've always had a thing for the 7 gallon mini bow so I couldn't resist setting up another this time around. Besides I had some extra live rock from setting up the 46 and I didn't want that to go to waste ;D

I have an Aquaclear 110 set up on the back acting as a fuge/circulation. There are 2 minijet 606's in the corners for additional circulation. The lighting is an old Custom Sealife hood with one 32w 10k bulb and one 32w actinic. The hood doesn't really fit (it's a bit short) but the wallet won't allow for an upgrade at this time.

The occupants are 3 gobies- A Wheeler's Shrimp goby, a Blackray Shrimp goby who is paired up with a pistol shrimp and a lil' Yellow clown goby. Yeah it's a bit of a bioload but when my girlfriend decided to break down her 2.5 the clown goby was homeless. Having 3 critters ensures I keep up with my water changes. Then there is your traditional clean up crew.

I do a 1 gallon water change once a week and top off manually until I finally decide to break down and buy an ATO. I don't dose anything- I figure water changes are more than enough with a zoo only tank.

Here is another full tank shot:

100_0643.jpg

Thanks,

Eric

Here is what it looked like at the beginning of June:

031.jpg

I am no longer using the Hydor flo you see in this picture- it took up too much space for my tastes and the sand was switched out for a larger grain size because the fine grains kept causing the Aquaclear to lock up. My girlfriend thought the sand was "pretty" but it was not practical.

Eric

That really looks nice.. Big change from June. I would have thought you would need more then a 1 gallon with that load, but it looks great, clear and clean. Keep the progress coming as it is always nice to see the tanks changes over time. I actually do like the rock work.. there is just something about it that works. Good job..

Do you feed the Yellow clown goby? or just let him deal with the substrate?

Tank looks good Eric..Nice job posting the photos (I still can't do it).. I plan to set up a 6gal nano as soon as time permits..I already have the hardware in place.

Dom

Also, the threads posted here by mynd, Constantine and Twan are VERY informative and at least to me, very helpful.

Dom

Thanks everyone for the kind words. The yellow clown goby eats frozen cycloeeze and the smaller pieces of mysis shrimp that float by. I thought the Blackray Shrimp goby had kicked the bucket- hadn't seen him for a couple of weeks-but now he makes a daily appearance.

Normally I would be uncomfortable with this many fish in a tank this size, but they rarely cross paths. The 2 shrimp gobies have staked out their piece of the tank and the Yellow clown goby likes to host on the powerheads.

Now for the main players:

100_0723.jpg

100_0667.jpg

216.jpg

100_0738.jpg

That looks good! I really like the bow on the tanks because it seems you can see at all angles. With my nano the corners that curve you cant really look into the tank since everything is stretched/blurry. I was actually thinking of the goby and pistol shrimp combination. How do you like that?

It's an interesting combination that produces mixed results for your viewing pleasure. From my experience at least, if the goby is paired with a shrimp you won't see the goby as much. I thought the High Fin goby had passed away- apparently he was holed up in his bunker for 2 weeks. The Wheeler's goby on the other hand (who is shrimpless) is not shy and makes sure he is the first fish I see as the lights come on. But when you finally get to see the pair working together it is entertaining.

Eric

I am about to post a question on the forum ( just finding out where to do it so that the sponsors see it ) to get availability and pricing on a green banded goby - Elacatinus multifasciatus.

green banded goby
. I hope someone can get it for me or at least a price. This is what I want :)

heh... was just talking to panmanmatt about that.. A little expensive. I was hoping someone local would have it.

# mynd : but thanks for the link! I appreciate the response..
# mynd : I don't want to spend 65.00 plus tax for a goby.. ;)
# mynd : actually they won't let you buy anything unless you spend 30 and then shipping is another 35.00
# mynd : I wonder what shipping would be... That is why I was hoping for a vendor of ours.. I guarantee shipping will be like 40.00
# mynd : thanks mate.. I looked there..
# panmanmatt : Live Aquaira has them for $15 «link»

I will just have to keep looking.. :) Thanks as well for the link.. I wonder why I could not find it there. Very strange. I found it here - http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=01-2736

and I searched a lot of places.. strange.. Thanks again though.. :)

eric65 said:
Some folks may remember me from a couple of years ago when I sold off everything I had-BIG mistake!!

Welcome back Eric!

The tanks look great.

I don't think it was a big mistake. Your Remora is doing a fine job on my 55 gallon tank and I had a lot of fun with the minibow. It's now a mini-frag tank and soon to be retired after I get my 180 up and running.

So if you are feeling nostalgic, it will be available soon. ;)

Looking good there. I struggle to keep Nitrate lower then 10 with 2g changes on a 12g tank each week. If you can do ok with 1g on your 7g each week more power to ya (i think i overfeed).

How is the AC110 modded?

blange3: Ahhhh so you have the Remora and original minibow :) I forgot both were involved in the sell off. For some reason I remember more the big ticket items. Hmmmmm...2 minibows......

twan: I did a water change last night and to put my nitrates where my mouth is I tested the water and I had 15ppm!! For me that is kinda high but I think it was due to some filter floss that I forgot to change out of the Aquaclear- it was looking rather dirty.

As for the mod to the Aquaclear 110, I shaved down the impeller blades to reduce flow. It gives me about a gallon more water volume and great circulation.

Got my Visa bill today. :eek: Looks like I won't be buying any new gadgets or livestock anytime soon. With that depressing scenario hanging over me, I've decided to share what my gobies have been up to.

Since the removal of the pistol shrimp, they have put their differences behind them and decided to share the same cave. It seems they take turns trying to scare me off so I'm not really sure if either one is in charge. They do make a cute pair though.

Fishtanks020.jpg

Fishtanks012.jpg

Fishtanks010.jpg

Fishtanks003.jpg

And an almost full tank shot of the 7 gallon minibow

100_0868.jpg

Very nice! I love minibows. What did you do with your pistol shrimp? Also, are bumble bee snails good? I need somethign to replace my astreas

The pistol shrimp was excommunicated to the 16 gallon bow. My girlfriend wanted him so she can have him. I'm convinced we had a rogue pistol shrimp. I had trouble keeping any inverts alive in that tank yet I had no idea why. The pistol was never in his hole-he always seemed to be on the prowl. His final day in the mini came when one minute my emerald was doing his thing then a few minutes later the pistol was dining on him. That was just the smoking gun I was looking for. Besides, the High Fin seems happier buddying up with the Wheeler's goby.

As for bumblebees, can't really tell if they do much. They have to be one of the most reclusive members of the cleanup crew community. I always forget I have them until I see one. I guess I buy them for variety- it sure as heck isn't because I've actually seen them do something ;D