• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My 90G ...

I am not off to a good start. My tank seems to have a small leak in one of the corners and the back panel of my stand seems to have come off loose. Does my tale end right here? :'( :'( Urgent advise required.

Here's the leak. I am thinking of siliconing the entire base. Is it worth the effort? Is it safe for the inhabitants.
PA223336.JPG

Here is the loose back panel: Can I use clamp, carpenters glue and screws to salvage this?
PA223335.JPG

The first question obviously is, should I consider this a lost cause? I am not worried about the stand, I could buy one any time. I really wanted to know if there is a fool proof way of stemming my tank leak.

Tank Pics:

PA223341.JPG

PA223340.JPG

PA223338.JPG

Stand from other angles:
PA223330.JPG

PA223329.JPG

PA223328.JPG

PA223326.JPG

PA223327.JPG

i am going to give ya the bad news first.....start over! your tank leaking is still gonna leak! water finds the path of least resistance, and silicone is not gonna stop it. it will eventually break the seal in the glass and silicoine and possibly create catastrophic failure!!! yikes!!! repair your stand, rebuild, sand, stain, paint wehatever. and im not sure what the correct action would be about the tank. i would say finding the exact where its leaking would be the first step, hey maybe its fixable....but i wouldnt venture any farther! especially if your married!! they dont like sand and live rock and 90gals of water spread across theyre floor!

good luck!

keep us posted!!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sayan, I won’t give up on the tank yet. I’d take a close look at the seams and see if it is something that could be re-siliconized.

The stand appears as if it is missing a slab of ¾ plywood on the top. Either way, give me a call or PM and I’ll come over and take a look at it...my other hobby is furniture construction...don’t tell anybody. The stand is definitely fixable.

Thanks for the inputs jerzky and rf-bf. The current stand provides a hollow base for the aqurium. I was wondering if I could buy a piece like the following, cut it in 3 to provide a sturdy platform on top of the stand.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Decking-Decking-Boards-Pressure-Treated/Mary-s-River-Lumber/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgfZb953Zyp/R-100093232/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

025b26b8-c2d9-4c2a-ab09-0703a11b8f8b_400.jpg

I am trying to go for the following structure.
St-30423-36016-red-oak.jpg

I could really use a professional opinion on fix vs buy for the stand and it would be of immense help if you could lend yours Paul. Thanks for offering your assistance.

Can you tell where the leak is coming from? Maybe you can be really luck and it was one of the overflow bulkheads not sealed right. If you have a little plumbers putty you may be able to isolate to the corner that is defective.

Though if you are going to reseal it... starfire front panel glass? :)

I didnt see any water in the overflow section and am assuming that wasnt it. I badly wish that it was just worn off silicone and not a crack in the glass. Is there a way to tell? Also if silicone does wear off once, what is stopping ot from wearing off again ? From any tank ?

I dont think I would be going for starfire, but would still be interested to know where to get pricing information for low iron glasses. Didnt have much luck with google.

I would jump on the sale going on at Aquatic Obsessions if I were you. The broken stand can definitely be fixed but they are cheap enough to buy a new one. If somehow the fixed stand ever gave out you would be in the middle of a disaster and would really be regretting not spending a few hundred on new

.... I absolutely hear you guys, my girlfriend actually heard you even before you spoke ;D .... I had to be on the receiving end of a long tirade regarding how I will destroy the living room and whatever peace there is left in her life if I gave into my immature fantasies and played with tools to support a 1000+ lb of stand. ... ::)

Oh yes... I will have to get a new stand.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Gogol, do I read this right, you are giving up on the stand. Not so fast...that stand is, without question, repairable. If you want to put a top on it, that is relatively easy. I would suggest using plywood over the redwood link you included above. Plywood is much more stable and won't warp like regular wood. If you want more of a furniture look, you can get it with any veneer finish you wish. Otherwise, regular constructionn grade 3/4 inch works just fine with a coat of paint.

Please contact me, I'm more then happy to help fix up that stand. All is not lost.

Sorry to break your heart Paul, but I already got the following stand. However I am thinking of cutting my existing stand in half and making a hood. There is hope for me trying out carpentry yet ;D.

Its a sedona that I got for for $175 from Sunnny(moroereef). Two thumbs up for a great guy who isn't shy of experimenting, has an awesome reef setup and a beautiful garden :). Thanks again for the stand man. I hope the tank works out .

DSC_0033.jpg

get a new tank. That stand is nice - I was eyeing it before too hahah. Definitely go with AqOb - that's where I got my 120. great deal.