• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My clowns won’t go near my nems!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg So the tank has been running for about 4 or 5 months now I think and the nems literally take up majority of the tank. But the clowns don’t want anything to do with them. Now before I got the clowns and nems they had a relationship in the tank they were in prior.

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
So? As long as everything is healthy and happy I don't really see an issue, unless you are trying to get them to host an anenome for yourself.

In that case, removing the fish for a few days and reintorducing them with an anenome tube might work.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

So? As long as everything is healthy and happy I don't really see an issue, unless you are trying to get them to host an anenome for yourself.

In that case, removing the fish for a few days and reintorducing them with an anenome tube might work.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I just think it’s cool watching them swim in and out of the nems. But everyone is healthy and happy.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Phantoms are Amphiprion ocellaris. Breeders take different breeds of Ocellaris together to come up with the pattern they want...ex snowflake Ocellaris and Darwin Ocellaris

BTA's are not a natural host to the Ocellaris and they may not want a BTA as a host. With the change, they may have changed their relationship. We want them to host in a anemone but even the aneomone that should host a clown may reject them

Last edited:
Phantoms are Amphiprion ocellaris. Breeders take different breeds of Ocellaris together to come up with the pattern they want...ex snowflake Ocellaris and Darwin Ocellaris

BTA's are not a natural host to the Ocellaris and they may not want a BTA as a host. With the change, they may have changed their relationship. We want them to host in a anemone but even the aneomone that should host a clown may reject them
So if I get a condy and/or carpet aneomone can I mix them with my bubble tips in the same tank giving the clowns options? My pictures don’t do justice but these RBTA really are gorgeous. I’d be willing to get rid of one or maybe split the large one and get rid of the other half to make room.

In a tank that size you won't be able to successfully mix anemones. You could get different color morphs of BTAs though and add them.

Did you try guiding them into the anemone with your hand?

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Giant Carpet anemone (stichodactyla gigantea) and Haddone Sea anemone are ocellaris natural hosts. Condy do not host any clownfish. Carpet anemone (Cryptodendruym) are not the natural host of ocellaris

In a tank that size you won't be able to successfully mix anemones. You could get different color morphs of BTAs though and add them.

Did you try guiding them into the anemone with your hand?
No I haven’t and honestly didn’t know that was a thing. I’m going to try that tonight. Thank you

Giant Carpet anemone (stichodactyla gigantea) and Haddone Sea anemone are ocellaris natural hosts. Condy do not host any clownfish. Carpet anemone (Cryptodendruym) are not the natural host of ocellaris

All these big words lol no honestly I appreciate and Want to learn this stuff. I didn’t realize the different types of clowns kinda have their own special type of anemones.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Giant Carpet anemone (stichodactyla gigantea) and Heteractis Magnificent sea anemone are very difficult aneomones.

BTA and Haddone Sea anemone are the least difficult.

BTA host for Percula, Tomato and Clarkii