• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My first build thread (29g Biocube)

Hey guys !

Thanks for all the patience with all my questions here. I was pretty nervous to start a build thread but I had alot of coaxing from the wonderful boyfriend. Since im getting fish tomorrow, I decided to start!

We bought the biocube on craigslist, leaked tested that night, and started the cycle after spending the whole day getting all the equipment. So while the car got heavier, my wallet was suddenly so much lighter.

Heres the tank:
gaqy9eta.jpg

Close up on the aquascape:
etu7ypu7.jpg

And one on the side:
uje4ery3.jpg

I get kyles old LEDs when he gets his new ones in, which is why I dont have any shots with them in yet.

Tomorrow I get to go fish shopping !

Right now the only inhabitants are two rescued hermit crabs named glenda and monti. Theyre shy. Ill update this tomorrow !

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Great start to the Tale of the Tank. Take a level to the tank to make sure it is level, if too much pressure is to the front, there have been people where the glass failed at the curved point. I know that is a heavy thing to drop in a first post, but I would rather tell you now then have it fail.

Check out http://www.mediabaskets.com/ the basket itself is pretty amazing but they have a ton of equipment just for all in one nanos. Also they sell a scraper for curved corners which is just great to have.

So what fish are you looking at or are you just going to let the fish gods guide you tomorrow at the LFS?

Looks nice! Welcome again to the great addiction. What corals do you plan on having seeing you are getting LEDs?

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Welcome aboard, nice start now get ready for the craziness thar will consume you. Good luck with the build

Great start to the Tale of the Tank. Take a level to the tank to make sure it is level, if too much pressure is to the front, there have been people where the glass failed at the curved point. I know that is a heavy thing to drop in a first post, but I would rather tell you now then have it fail.

Check out http://www.mediabaskets.com/ the basket itself is pretty amazing but they have a ton of equipment just for all in one nanos. Also they sell a scraper for curved corners which is just great to have.

So what fish are you looking at or are you just going to let the fish gods guide you tomorrow at the LFS?

Ive been having a ton of problems leveling the tank! We are going to home depot to get some plywood, but my problem is that it keeps sinking into the rug!

Hahaha ive only picked out two so far: bengaii cardinals and a hopefully a horned blenny at aquarium center. All the fish i want i cant get! Theyre mean fishies. I really really fell in love with mandarin/dragonets but i cant remember why im not allowed to have them either. Kyle got me a starfish but I have to wait alot longer before I can have him in my tank.

Looks nice! Welcome again to the great addiction. What corals do you plan on having seeing you are getting LEDs?

I really love zoas! Ive been branching out to favias and riccs too, but I havent found one that I exactly want yet. I got the LEDs so I could change my mind if I wanted to, cause im so fickle.

Welcome. Nice looking tank. I definitely like the rockscape open on all sides. I don't know much about bio-cubes. What equipment are you running, sump , lighting , skimmer and etc.?

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Great start! I agree with Mike that leveling the tank is something you want to take care of now before anything bad happens later. Very nice aquascape though... I see Kyle is already taking credit for it, haha.

What time are you two heading up to Aquarium Center? Maybe I'll meet you two up there.

I'm sure Kyle will remind you, but the reason he won't "let" you get a mandarin is because their diet relies on a healthy pod population as they need to eat constantly to survive. With a newly cycled tank, chances are your tank can't support one just yet. But, you will eventually have that and you will be able to enjoy a mandarin. As you can see by my avatar, they are one of my favorite fish! You're welcome to stop by and check him out if you'd like.

Welcome. Nice looking tank. I definitely like the rockscape open on all sides. I don't know much about bio-cubes. What equipment are you running, sump , lighting , skimmer and etc.?

Oh dear, I dont have any of those. Im very very new to the hobby, and from my understanding with the biocube it filters in the back chamber. Thanks!

Great start! I agree with Mike that leveling the tank is something you want to take care of now before anything bad happens later. Very nice aquascape though... I see Kyle is already taking credit for it, haha.

What time are you two heading up to Aquarium Center? Maybe I'll meet you two up there.

Haha right when they open at 10! Theres a sale going on today!

Do you have any other suggestions on how to level the tank? I have this sneaky suspicion that the plywood will sink into the rug too, and itll just be unleveled on a flatter surface.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's tough to level a tank on carpet. I think it may continue to sink for a while until it's fully compressed. The only thing I'd suggest is maybe adding a flat piece of plywood on the carpet, then use the shims on top of that. This will spread the weight across more of the carpet surface and hopefully help some.

I'll try to make it up there around 10!

It's tough to level a tank on carpet. I think it may continue to sink for a while until it's fully compressed. The only thing I'd suggest is maybe adding a flat piece of plywood on the carpet, then use the shims on top of that. This will spread the weight across more of the carpet surface and hopefully help some.

I'll try to make it up there around 10!

Yea its on shims right now and its pretty level maybe off by 1/8 inch

Sent from my galaxy s4

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Was nice to meet you today at Aquarium Center. Hope you finally decided on a fish or two for your new tank. I know it was a tough decision.

Kyle, was nice to see you representing NJRC with the Swap t-shirt too. Been trying to work a relationship with Aquarium Center and getting Dom and Val to believe that NJRC members do shop there. ;)

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you around and seeing your tank progress. Good luck with it.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It is nearly impossible leveling a flat-bottom stand (or a piece of flat plywood under the stand), because the weight is spread out over a large area. You would be better off building a frame out of two by fours (or two by twos), and covering that with ¾ plywood. Now the weight distribution is on the outside edges only and it will now evenly compress the carpet and be easier to level.

Oh and welcome and thanks for starting a Tale. Keep the pictures and updates coming.

Update 9/2:

After almost two hours in the fish store, my first fish is a linear blenny! His name is albert:
mu2anavu.jpg

vyvasy5e.jpg

Hes about 2 inches and hes a bundle of fun already. Along with him, I got 2 zebra crabs 2 cerith snails, and 3 astrea snails.
Next week I hope to gwt my bangaii cardinals and then a fire shrimp yaaaay.

Last edited:
Was nice to meet you today at Aquarium Center. Hope you finally decided on a fish or two for your new tank. I know it was a tough decision.

Kyle, was nice to see you representing NJRC with the Swap t-shirt too. Been trying to work a relationship with Aquarium Center and getting Dom and Val to believe that NJRC members do shop there. ;)

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you around and seeing your tank progress. Good luck with it.

It was so good seeing you too, thanks for your advice ! We ended up getting a blenny for each of us lol.

Congratulations on your first fish jing!!!

See you on campus tomorrow!

Love Meagan

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2