• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My first SPS corals

100_3047.jpg

100_3049.jpg

0702082128a.jpg

100_3048.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Make sure the cap is as low as it can go. Maybe even under an overhang if you have one. They're REALLY hardy, so I'm sure you'll be fine!

I hate to say it, but that cap looks pretty bleached out and dead. Take it out and smell it. If you don't smell anything, chuck it in the garbage. :(

Thats what i though... Although there are a few spots that are green can't see that being algae and the bottom is yellow-ish green last time i moved it... also slimey I'll go see if it smells.

EDIT: Tried to tell if it smelt but i smell something from it... Also moved it to the bottom. It fell on the sand when i was moving it and the green spots had sand sticking to them from slime. So i'm guessing the green parts are live and producing slime?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If it is slimey it is still alive. That sounds like it is just bleaching. Can you see any PE on it?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
LOL. Polyp extension. You should see itttty bittttty polyps sticking up from the corals when they're happy. You can see it in the 4th coral down in your set at the top of the page on that front coral.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
No, it doesn't. It will pick up stuff from the water column and will benefit more from well fed fish. It doesn't have a sizeable mouth anywhere that food could be ingested through.

The "dead" monti will probably turn it around as long as you keep your tank in check. I had a green birdsnest frag fall into the sand top first and stayed there about 2 days before I noticed it. Completely bleached. It is now fully recovered in a few weeks.