• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My IM Fluval 10G ZOA build

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
First off good choice with the white sand. While pretty, black sand can have grains in it that can be magnetic which if you use an algae scarper in the tank can lead to scratches.

You don't need to run the gfo and carbon with no livestock in the tank. They are to pull impurities out and technically you should not have any right now.

Is the pump itself loud or is it vibrating?

First off good choice with the white sand. While pretty, black sand can have grains in it that can be magnetic which if you use an algae scarper in the tank can lead to scratches.

You don't need to run the gfo and carbon with no livestock in the tank. They are to pull impurities out and technically you should not have any right now.

Is the pump itself loud or is it vibrating?
The pump is loud I have intentionally cut the tube short so it doesn't sit on the bottom and I have ensured it's not hitting the sides and it's still loud.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Also in theory, since I cycled my rock while I was on vacation and I used about 1.5 gallons of the water that was already cycled. I shouldn't go through a cycle right. I sh pop uld be able to add a fish and potentially some corals

Some shots after the water has cleard..cant wait to add corals
a5db04c92934c413b842ad11d1b9dfda.jpg
85ae6b7b61f8596dafa9961d4f0367de.jpg

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
You'll get your diatoms once the lights stay on a cycle, aside from that (assuming) your cycle should be pretty quick

Yea I just turned the lights on for the pics, I tested last weekend and it seems the cycle was done I am going to test it again tomorrow night and based off that I may add my first fish and a test zoa frag this weekend. I'm thinking all snails for a clean up crew but I'm not sure what I want to sift the sand..i like the sand sifting gobby but he gets pretty big...any ideas?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
1 sand sifting snail for now, a big one should do

Snails I'd go with trocus, and margarita's...

Hermits are optional in my opinion, personally I hate my guys as they kill all my snails

Personally I'd wait till after the diatom bloom before adding a coral, CUC is ok though

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Nassarius snails also live in the sand bed and are good clean up crew.

As far as cycle goes, you can always add an instant cycle product when you add your first fish if you want to be sure.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
with the small tank, the ss goby may deplete it very quickly.....possibly leading to starvation

they also don't stay "nano" sized either

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Is the water level low? If nit try taking it apart, maybe something is up in there

Is the water level low? If nit try taking it apart, maybe something is up in there
No I don't think the level is too low I just raised it and it's maintained by an ato. I just disassembled the pump two days ago because it was loud.....I'm trying not to buy a new pump...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quick update the tank is running fine, I'm going through the diatoms phase but everything looks good so far..I fraged up a zoa that I was growing out in my main tank and now I have 5 new frags of it...all of them are looking good.
d42c5d77043fa13fe1517c6a48193afa.jpg
97d2b591c695c3404f4b74195df52428.jpg
c2b645d9bedc48cc6c6a72beb3fb8e17.jpg
224d231fe7f217fef0b614878d61b172.jpg
bcbc75718d7d453bd32ccdae27f54559.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk