• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My journey back into reefing......

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
it might work, my concern would be that if some some reason that filter were to break siphon, it may be an issue(like for example in a power outage) . are you considering doing a larger tank at some point? that butterfly is going to get big

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
As always, suggestions welcomed.
No Overflow box. So I have decided to drill the side of the HOB filter Instead of drilling the back, insert a 1/2" bulkhead with a flat screen strainer on the inside 3/4 of the way up so minimal back flow siphon.
And for a return I have a rRio something that 267 GPH $13.

That is a horrible idea, no offense.

you want your return pump to dictate the overflow of water - not another pump along with your return pump. by utilizing two pumps, you need to make sure both pumps are pump at equal GPHs - you also can not rely on advertised speeds since you need to take account for head loss and such. to put it simply, you are putting two areas of potential failure.

I recommend this type of overflow over what you are suggesting.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I have agree with @iTzJu on this. Also note on the Rio pump. I have a Rio return pump now. It has been running 24/7 (basically only off when doing a water change) its a good pump but about 2 weeks ago when I went to power it back on after a water change I got nothing. I had to take the pump out and pull it all apart and clean it very good to get it working again. I suggest you keep up on cleaning this pump.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I would agree that having basically two return pumps is just setting yourself up for water on the floor.

I also agree that the butterfly and the cleaner wrasse are going to need bigger tanks. The butterfly might also munch on your corals so something to think about.

you want your return pump to dictate the overflow of water - not another pump along with your return pump. by utilizing two pumps, you need to make sure both pumps are pump at equal GPHs - you also can not rely on advertised speeds since you need to take account for head loss and such. to put it simply, you are putting two areas of potential failure.

No offense taken. This is why I ask, so I can get feedback. I did check on that overflow box and it's out of stock. :(

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Those hammers will be a good snack for the butterfly. :oo: Was very nice meeting you on Monday. Post some photos.
So far he's been good at not munching on corals. But I am aware that it may not last for ever. The Hammers are looking great! It was very nice meeting you both. We had a wonderful time looking at your tank. And, you really got me thinking about that Apex, just gotta figure out a way to raise the money for it. I do really need to address this sump first.
Those hammers will be a good snack for the butterfly. :oo: Was very nice meeting you on Monday. Post some photos.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
No offense taken. This is why I ask, so I can get feedback. I did check on that overflow box and it's out of stock. :(

I have the cpr version for sale if interested. It should be under the deals n steals forum

Ok Just so we are clear I wasn't allowing the second pump to dictate the overflow. Perhaps I did not explain myself well. I want to cut a hole on the side so I can just allow flow through and into the pump. Piggyback. I would place the hole as far up as possible to allow water to flow through but in case of power outage it would only back flow what was left in the pipe, not much. I not saying your idea is not ideal. I was just trying to save a bit of $$. But somethings have to be done a certain way and I understand. I do like that OFB and the price is right but they are out of stock. I've been looking all over but nothing less then 65+shipping.

I have agree with @iTzJu on this. Also note on the Rio pump. I have a Rio return pump now. It has been running 24/7 (basically only off when doing a water change) its a good pump but about 2 weeks ago when I went to power it back on after a water change I got nothing. I had to take the pump out and pull it all apart and clean it very good to get it working again. I suggest you keep up on cleaning this pump.
I know, I am working on getting a Sicce. They're undestructable. I just got this temporary and when the Sicce came in I would use this as backup or to mix my salt.

I would agree that having basically two return pumps is just setting yourself up for water on the floor.

I also agree that the butterfly and the cleaner wrasse are going to need bigger tanks. The butterfly might also munch on your corals so something to think about.
I have another tank (new but with one pane broken and replacing with acrylic ) I may use for fish only. My girl is a vet tech and I can not tell her she can not have "Angelo" (butterfly) anymore. She would be devastated. She's a huge and profound animal lover.

Ok so a quick update I am repairing the other tank with an acrylic back, so easy to drill.so far I have:
DIY- overflow box
4bbe3e84bae4eb3896f024fa0cf748ec.jpg

09f9282afb61f567e65b00b0e92a0051.jpg

f17b2c66532ece1131bb55f09e768a13.jpg

I do believe I have a little problem. I ordered 1/2 bulkheads and from what I'm reading they might be to small I should have went with 3/4. Can someone please chime in and tell me I'm wrong again?

Oh. One more thing I plan on spray painting the clear acrylic. Is it the Krylon for plastic is the safe one?