• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My Mantis Molted! With Pics!

My Peacock Mantis Shrimp molted last week Sunday night/Monday morning. Was pretty sure I had seen the defined line of calcium resorption and the sutures splitting on his "back" Sunday night and sure enough, I saw him appear after a couple days with what looked like much less damaged hammers. Conclusion: He molted. Last night he comes out of his burrow a bit and I realize he's holding part of himself, lol.

Here's what he was holding.

IMG_9772.jpgIMG_9774.jpgIMG_9779.jpgIMG_9753.jpg

Took these this morning. Colors on the shell heated up like when you cook a crustacean. Anybody ever try to preserve one of these? I was thinking acrylic nail polish or maybe clear epoxy resin? End goal would be a paperweight.

I'm absolutely amazed at the amount of his hammer that was chipped away by the time he molted. That part of the shell is unbelievably thick given the size of the entire arm itself(~.5" long).

That is pretty cool. Let us know how if you figure this out. Should make a cast and make a metal version of this lol.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
You could probably incase it in some 2 part epoxy. Shouldn't be too hard to do

You could probably incase it in some 2 part epoxy. Shouldn't be too hard to do

I was thinking epoxy resin might work. Do you think it would help if I painted it with acrylic nail polish first? My concern is how fragile the upper arm part is as the shell is WAY thinner there than it is nearer to the tip. I wanna figure it out so next molt I can be ready to get it before the color changes.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I would coat it first either with the clear polish or rattle can varnish. The epoxy will heat up significantly when curing which will more than likely change the color as well

You should totally do this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Encapsulate-Insects-In-Resin/

I wonder if this can be done with other stuff from reef tanks.

This could work as well?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izqFaia_8bU

Thanks for the links. Probably gonna try something out this weekend. I'll likely try out the casting resin, but I want to make sure it's a bubble free piece. Wonder if I could stick it on the washing machine for a bit before I cap it and it starts to cure? Just read dipping into resin before casting it, would help cut down the air bubbles. Might try both.

Thanks for the links. Probably gonna try something out this weekend. I'll like try out the casting resin, but I want to make sure it's a bubble free piece. Wonder if I could stick it on the washing machine for a bit before I cap it and it starts to cure? Just read dipping into resin before casting it, would help cut down the air bubbles. Might try both.

Maybe a soak in something over night like the hand sanitizer to draw out the air?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I've never worked with casting resin before, but have worked with 2 part epoxy a lot. The main thing I have used it for is sealing wood fishing lures and sealing the thread making custom rods. When using it for these 2 things a bubble free clear finished is a must. To get rid of bubbles and to ensure a smooth finish I would heat the epoxy up with a lighter or torch as it was setting up. It would bring the bubbles to the top and they would pop. It would also ensure a smooth even coat.

I've never worked with casting resin before, but have worked with 2 part epoxy a lot. The main thing I have used it for is sealing wood fishing lures and sealing the thread making custom rods. When using it for these 2 things a bubble free clear finished is a must. To get rid of bubbles and to ensure a smooth finish I would heat the epoxy up with a lighter or torch as it was setting up. It would bring the bubbles to the top and they would pop. It would also ensure a smooth even coat.

This is just to thin the epoxy/resin, which helps the bubble travel upward faster? Would a propane torch work? Or is that overkill?

True, got to make sure it doesn't harm it/dissolve it though.

I gotta think if hand sanitizer is ok for indefinite preservation, that regular rubbing alcohol would be ok. Probably gonna try all three methods of bubble removal, soaking in alcohol first, setting the resin in the mold on the washer and I got some hypos laying around to suck out air bubbles. lol. Hopefully my three pronged attack will make it a nice, clear, bubble free paperweight. Will definitely report back after completion.

This is just to thin the epoxy/resin, which helps the bubble travel upward faster? Would a propane torch work? Or is that overkill?

I gotta think if hand sanitizer is ok for indefinite preservation, that regular rubbing alcohol would be ok. Probably gonna try all three methods of bubble removal, soaking in alcohol first, setting the resin in the mold on the washer and I got some hypos laying around to suck out air bubbles. lol. Hopefully my three pronged attack will make it a nice, clear, bubble free paperweight. Will definitely report back after completion.

Awesome, can't wait to see this.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus

Exactly. It also helps the outside layer lay flat. A torch works just fine it's what I usually use, you just have to be a bit mor careful.