• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My new 180 Gallon Reef - Basement Sump- Lots of Pics - similar to John S

I am in the process of building out a new 180 gallon Reef (72 x 24 x 24) in my Family room, all plumbing is through the floor to the basement - I used many references, but by far the best was NJRC's John S_323 - his pics and descriptions and design were just what I needed to finalize the basic construction and design.

I used the 3" PVC manifold concept (all returns come from here), the auto-water change connection to the main sewer line, 2" PVC for the tank drain and 1-1/2 Flex spa PVC for the tank return (to avoid sharp 90 degree turns and reduced flow) - the main pump is a Reeflo Barracuda with plenty of capacity (only using about 1/3 of it's full capacity for return to tank - plan on using the rest for the refugium, frag growout tank and the water powered accessories - phosphate, carbon, ozone, calcium and Kalkswasser reactors)

This is a work in progress - the tank and live rock (300 lbs) was acquired from another member - Joe Durnya - Sayerville - frags from Keith (BLSTRAVLER), Live sand from aquacticsrule - Florida (390 lbs) and oceanproacquatics - Chino, CA (100lbs) - There is about 420 lbs of sand in the main tank and the rest in the sump mangrove tank (located in the sump - has 70 lbs sand, 50 lbs rock, 20 mangroves, 12 red from Hawaii, 8 rare white mangroves, cheleto, marsh grass, assorted red algae. The live sand in the main tank is 6 to 8 inches deep (much deeper than the calculators will have you believe - they say 600 lbs for 6 inches - this is incorrect - about 400 lbs is 6 inches - maybe because the sand is very fine - like Caribsea Fiji Red - sand.. (The Florida is red, the CA is brownish white)

Skimmer tub is also part of the 100 gallon Rubbermaid sump - it is a Rubbermaid roughneck container purchased at home depot (20 gallon?) - and is used for the Euroreef CS 12-2 to maintain a 6 to 8 inch constant water level, the output of the skimmer is returned to the main sump and the overflow from the 180 gallon tank goes directly to the skimmer tub (through a large filter bag first). There is a low flow excess from the skimmer tub - this is directed to the mangrove tub via a 1-1/2 inch bulkhead from the skimmer tub to the mangrove/live rock/50 lbs live sand - tub as a Nitrate reducer - the output from the mangrove tub overflows via another 1-1/2 bulkhead to the main sump, the bulkhead has a gutter guard screen mesh over the output to the main sump to prevent pieces of coral rock, snails, hermits or mangrove leaves from getting into the suction line to the reeflow - even though there is a bulkhead coarse plastic fitting over the intake - I don't want anything to block the input to the pump.

The main sump came with a 1" bulkhead (way too small for the reeflo) so I added a second bulkhead - 2" and tied them together with a "Y" 2" Plumbing fitting - I spent almost $1,000 on plumbing fittings and pipes alone - after all is done I expect to return the excess fitting (about $400.00 worth) to Home Depot, Lowes and True Value if I can figure out which fittings go back to which store.. Most are male adapters, reducer bushings, couplers, elbows of all sorts, valves, unions, check valves etc... - went through 6 cans of PVC cement and primer.

Tank circulation is all Tunze 6100 and one Tunze Powerhead and Tunze Wavebox all connected through the wavebox controller and a 7095 Tunze Stream controller. Streams are running at 70% maximum power to prevent sandstorms. Approx half pound of Kent Carbon is running in main and sump until things settle down. Salt mix is Aquacraft Marinemix 2 part salt (love this salt) and from a person who makes his own salt, strontium, iodide and alkalinity mixes - Garry Elliot at Get Tanked Aquariums - high grade mixes at a very reasonable price (he is in Carlislie, PA) - Test kits are Salifert, Merck (Phosphate), Hach Spectrometer, Reef Status Mag, Borate., LaMotte Nitrate - Neptune AC3 Pro with expansion mod and Breakout box for PH, Temp, ORP, Conductivity and Dissolved Oxygen - the Neptune is controlling various devices - calcium/CO2, Ozone reactor, automatic evaporation w/Kalkswasser reactor.

New tank will be tested fully before any significant livestock is added - so far some snails and hermits added and a big urchin - but the tank has only been running a week

Lighting - Jury rigged my old Aquamedic 48 inch fixture (2 x 250 Watt AB -10K HQI and 1 - 150 Watt - AB - 20K HQI and 2 T-5 HO actinics that I added to the fixture along with Moonlights) with 2 Aquamedic Pendants - 250 Watt 14K Phoenix x 2 on either end - for a total of 4 x 250 Watt HQI (2 - 10K and 2 14K) and one 150 Watt 20K HQI with 2 48 inch T5-HO) May add a "used" 4 bulb T5 72 inch for more Blue (actinics) and dawn to dusk - I jury rigged because I wanted to use the old 48 inch fixture from the former 70 gallon reef and I want to upgrade the lighting to the PFO Solaris 72 inch - when they come out with the 400 Watt MH equivalent second generation LED lighting system hopefully later this year.

Otherwise - I may sell it all and buy the Aquamedics 72 inch 4 x 250 watt or 5 x 250 watt MH HQI with a mix of 10 and 20K AB bulbs - I like Aquamedics products.

Here are the PICS - don't mind the mess and the job is not complete - electronics and accessories are not in yet, neither is the frag growout or external large refugium (small refugium - mangrove tub is there) - the rest of it will be installed on the table you see with the "chop saw for PVC and wood cuttings) - I will also install a mini - laboratory for water tests, analysis (microscope and PC), and live photo, zoo - plankton and POD growout - I also want a seahorse aquarium - haven't decided where yet or how I will plumb it (connected to the main or separate for disease control)

Chris

NOTE: Description of Plumbing tie to main sanitary drain stack for water changes - see link to John S basement sump and my commentary -

http://www.njreefers.org/forums/index.php/topic,1926.msg27109.html#msg27109

Attachments

• Copy of Copy of New 180 gallon construction 003.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 163
  • Copy of New 180 gallon construction 006.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 137
  • New 180 gallon construction 032.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 154
  • New 180 gallon construction 026.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 162
More Pics

Attachments

• Copy of New 180 gallon construction 001.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 145
  • New 180 gallon construction 007.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 113
  • New 180 gallon construction 031.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 173
  • New 180 gallon construction 030.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 119

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow, that looks great Chris! Great job! Have you finished peeling the PVC cement off of your hands yet?!? I think I just got the last of it off of mine. . . .

Don't be so hasty to return those extra PVC parts. I have two huge tubs of them. I contend that they're not left-overs, they're "haven't-been-used-yet's". There have been a few occassions where I needed to fix something quickly and having those parts on hand saved me a lot of trouble.

Good luck with it. Let me know how you make out with those drain caps. I originally used them in a few places but found that they leaked under pressure. Hopefully you won't have the same issue.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Regarding the drain plugs. I've read where guys have had success with placing a bead of silicone on the inside. What they do is tighten the plug in it's female fitting, back it out a quarter to half turn, apply the silicone from the opposite end, let it cure, tighten the cap creating a in-place gasket. Haven't done it myself but it makes sense.

Drain caps - all leaked - lots of plumbers tape (went through a total of 9 rolls) and a secret ingrediant - silicone grease over the tape or on the female threads - makes a better seal and you can tighten the heck out of it without getting the cap stuck in place or destroying the threads - the silicone sealent may work as well - don't know. But there is a fine line between tight and cracking the PVC fitting - hand tightening doesn't cut it - you need a good pipe wrench. So far - after doing this one at a time - no more leaks - we will see - what did you wind up replacing the caps with to stop the leaks (if mine start leaking again), John?

And you are right about keeping some of the fittings - the $300-$400 return is with keeping about 1 or 2 of everything I used as spare - when I buy fittings I usually buy 4 of each type - sometimes I'll need double that, sometimes I don't use a particular fitting at all - those are the ones that I can return.

Chris

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I wound up cutting off all of the drain caps and replacing them with regular PVC caps. It was kind of a PITA in some spots because I didn't leave myself a lot of room between fittings (like the end caps of the manifold). In those cases, I had to painstakingly try to remove the PVC from the glued fittings that I needed to keep. It can be done with a heat gun, a heavy duty crescent wrench and a TON of patience. Hopefully you won't have to go down that road. It was no fun!

John

How do you automatically add RO/Kalkwasser for evaporation with such a huge sump - in my old 70 gallon tank / 30 gallon sump setup - all I did was use a float switch in the sump - if a gallon or 2 evaporated - that would mean a 1 or 2" drop in level which would start the pump to replenish (ATO system) - there doesn't seem to be a significant enough drop in level in the main sump and a lot of turbulence to use a float switch, I have the skimmer tub set up for a constant level for the skimmer to operate - maybe I can use this by testing how much water I can remove from the system before the level in that tub goes down, unfortunately at that point I may starve the skimmer pumps by running them dry before it activates the ATO - looking for some ideas for ATO - BTW I dose Kalkwasser through a Kalk reactor to add replacement RO/DI water - Neptune decides if the water should be fed through the Kalks reactor or directly from the Rubbermaid brute trash can (RO/DI storage container) without Kalk treatment if the float is activated and the PH is within tolerance or low - it sends RO/DI through kalk, if float is activated and PH is 8.4 or higher, it activates a powerhead in the Brute trash can and bypasses the Kalk reactor to fill the sump - Neptune also has programmed a conductivity tolerance setting that says if conductivity goes below a certain value, then stop the ATO because there is a leak somewhere or the float switch fell into the sump or a snail or something got stuck on the float - so triple protection for adding fresh water - it also forces the RO/DI on if salinity/conductivity rises above a certain threshold - ATO is also on an electronic timer set for 5 minutes - so if for some reason the RO/DI is running for more than 5 minutes - it shuts down and has to be manually reset - this protect against faulty electronics / probes but is bad if I go away from home for more than a week.

Second question - are you using a Neptune or similar device? if yes - where are your probes and controller - in the basement / sump or in the aquarium? I like having the Neptune under the stand for the aquarium so I can see what is going on without going into the basement - and I remote the DC8 / 4 to the basement to controll the ORP, PH, etc...

Chris

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We use a dual top-off switch from AutoTopOff.com in the sump. It's plugged into an X10 which is controlled by an AquaController II. The switch is connected to a pump that is sitting in my RO/DI storage tank. Every six hours, the ACII turns that X10 on for 1 minute. If the water level is below the float switch, the pump will kick on for either 1 minute or until the water is at the right level (whichever comes first). I'm running a Ca Reactor so I don't know anything about dosing with Kalwasser. Based on what you said though, I think you could probably swap out the float switch you're using with one from AutoTopOff. I had to make my own bracket to the hold the ATO switch but it was really easy to do (I just used a thin strip of acrylic and heat gun). This was necessary because the bracket they give you doesn't fit nicely over the lip of a rubbermaid stock tank.

For us, the ACII is in the basement, as are all of the probes, X10's and DC8's.

Thanks John - your help with the design (your basement sump post is GREAT!!) and advice has been terrific.

The million dollar question - we are all impatient and I want to get stock into the tank ASAP!!! - considering the live rock that has cooked (also pre-cured) for 4 weeks, the live sand from 2 suppliers, and the fact that I am seeding with some rock/sand and water from the 10 year old 70 gallon reef - can I start putting livestock in now?? Corals, fish etc... - I have already transferred dozen or so snails, hermits etc... how long did you wait before adding valuable livestock to your 180?

All parameters are spot on except a bit of phosphate (have not transfer ed the phosphate reactor yet - will this weekend - reading with Deltec kit about 0.03 and nitrate at 4PPM with LaMotte kit - alkalinity was 3.4 meq/l which is about 8.6 dKh - with Borate alk about 1.0 meq/l - just added some alk up 3 part mix to raise borate to around 2.5 and total alk to around 10 dKh - PH is 8.2 - 6 to 8 inch sand bed in main tank and 50 lbs of live sand in mangrove refugium (light cycle opposite tank)

All other readings Ammonia, Nitrite - 0, Magnesium 1500, calcium 570 (probably why alk is a little low)

What do think cycle time is here??

Chris

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sounds like your pretty much ready to add a few hardy and inexpensive fish. I'm partial to blue/green chromis but there are a bunch of other options you could go with. As far as coral, that knd of depends on what your long term plan is. If you're going with an all softie tank, you could probably add some stuff now. If you want LPS/SPS you may want to hold off for a little bit.

Just my 2c. Hopefully others have some suggestions too.

Here is the list:

1) 70% SPS, the rest LPS and zoos
2) Fish - 2 Blue hippos, Chevron, Purple Tang, Zebra Tang, Tommini tang, blue spotted jawfish, mystery wrasse, pair of red flame Hawaiian wrasse, Scott's fairy wrasse (male - cook Island), yellow goby & pistol, Yashi Goby & Pistol, Pair Blackbar True Percula, green mandarin, clown goby, small harem (5) Lyretail Anthias, 6 line wrasse, pseudochromis, few cukes, stars, bunch of snails and hermits
Have a Pink Fairy wrasse and another Scott's Male from Australia coming in

I don't think it is too many fish for a reef setup?? if the tangs get too big I will trade them - one of the Blue hippos is a rare yellow belly (African).

I have about 15 Acros ranging in size from frags to full colonies - one of the stags is about 8 inches high and 6 wide -

I have various large hairy mushrooms that look a lot like ricordia red/orange with green centers and soft cabbage/elephant ear coral that fluoresces' green under actinics - that I will be looking to part out of the 70 gallon - either trade or sell

Chris

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
With all those wrasses I hope you have a good cover planned. They really are jumpers. It is just a matter of when. Our wrasses are all in a tightly covered tank.

Yes - I had my share of $200.00 fish dried up behind the tank (why do they always land behind the tank??) - right now a temporary cover (egg-crate light diffuser) is there - the holes are 1/4" - too small for the larger males - the new cover is being constructed as per a Reef Central - window screen design using window screen frame and spline and garden netting that has a large netting holes that standard screening to allow more light, yet is still small enough to prevent the fish from jumping through.

Is that what you use??

Chris

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We have an eel that we need to keep tightly covered so that tank has glass covers over it. Do you have a link to that design on RC?

How does your wife feel about the big mess this must have made around the house? :'(
I bet she's not happy with the space she lost in the basement. :(

Dave...(AKA the favorite uncle).