• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My Oceanic Tech 120

Re: My Oceanic Tech 120 and a request for input.

Looks great James, great job!

Meanwhile I trail even further behind. ::)

One question, why are you running SG on the low side?

I was running it at 25 on my AP. I errored on the low side to be honest with you, I had never made my own water and some of the water I had in my tubs was lower then what I am running now so I didn't want to shock everthing by changing sality too much or too quickly. I plan on slowly bringing my sality up to 1.025. Would it have been better to just push it all the way up or better slowely?

Thanks for the complements...I can only hope my corals are as happy as yours.

JRWOHLER said:
I have one issue that is hard to figure out. Unfortunately the water traveling down to the sump sometimes sounds like a washing machine ... I guess air gets sucked in. How can get rid of it?
are you hearing the noise up by the durso pipes or down in the sump?

JRWOHLER said:
I plan on slowly bringing my sality up to 1.025. Would it have been better to just push it all the way up or better slowely?

Thanks for the complements...I can only hope my corals are as happy as yours.

Slowly is always better. Nothing good happens fast in reefing!

A higher SG will give you better levels of all the essentials, but it was wise not to change too much during the transition.

It's also a good practice with nano's to runn a little lower since it doesn't take much for it to rise.

phil519 said:
JRWOHLER said:
I have one issue that is hard to figure out. Unfortunately the water traveling down to the sump sometimes sounds like a washing machine ... I guess air gets sucked in. How can get rid of it?
are you hearing the noise up by the durso pipes or down in the sump?

In the white flexible pipes leading from the tank to the sump air is getting drawn though so I am getting air coming out into the sump.

if Air is getting sucked in at a high velocity, it will sound like a gurgle swish, like a flush almost. Try to increase the hole size on the durso standpipe, or you can try to add a length of tubing (the larger size, not airline size) either one should work, it's basically allowing more air to go in reducing the flushing sound, and adding the airline tube restricts it. Right now, you are right in the middle- try that, iyt's worked for me like 3 times... until I created a Stockman pipe which has no flush whatsover....

WOW, JR, I love it! Terrific job on the aqua/rockscaping. Nice, nice, nice. ;D

Good job on fixing that thermometer, I bet you get really accurate readings now, LOL.

---
Wendy

JerseyWendy said:
WOW, JR, I love it! Terrific job on the aqua/rockscaping. Nice, nice, nice. ;D

Good job on fixing that thermometer, I bet you get really accurate readings now, LOL.

---
Wendy

Thanks I stole all my good ideas from you ;). I find the readings to be as accurate as they were before ::).
My idea was sort of to have two distinct hills the smaller one on the right has those corals that well could almost be considered pests...GSP, Kenya tree, some mushrooms ect. Then the right has the more intersting ones. I have maybe more room in the back then I had planned on but it gives me some room for the future.

concept3 said:
if Air is getting sucked in at a high velocity, it will sound like a gurgle swish, like a flush almost. Try to increase the hole size on the durso standpipe, or you can try to add a length of tubing (the larger size, not airline size) either one should work, it's basically allowing more air to go in reducing the flushing sound, and adding the airline tube restricts it. Right now, you are right in the middle- try that, iyt's worked for me like 3 times... until I created a Stockman pipe which has no flush whatsover....

Thanks I will try reducing first then increasing later. Someone also suggested removing slack from the flexible pipes. It is that sound you are correct flushing would be it.

momof6kids

NJRC Member

JR your tank is running!! YEAH!!!

And now the fun begins, filling it up. ;D Good thing the swap is coming!

Thanks Mom ;)...and thanks for all the updates as I followed you and Wendy, tried to borrow some idea's and learn as much as possible from you both. And yes the swap and AO sale are pretty convienent.

Hello wanted to give an update as it has been a couple weeks.
First...I still have a lot of air in my drain lines. I tried to straightening hoses and adding some extra holes in the top but still I have a lot of air siphoning in. I did get rid of the flushing sound though.
I'm pretty happy with all the water parameters..my Ca is only 380 but I have just gotten the specific gravity up to 1.025. All nitrates nitrites phosphates ammonia are negligible or zero and everything else is in line.
Temp has been running 79-80 degrees. I am going to have to maybe consider a chiller next year if fans don't work.

All the little diatom problem that everyone gets is gone, it was really minor, more an annoying couple days.

I went to MikeM to get some cheato and rubble to help stock my fuge.
I ended up walking away with so much more. I cannot say how generous Mike is and I am sure he has forgotten more then I will ever know about reefkeeping. I also met wannabereefer so got to pick his brain too.

So a few pics. FTS
FTS092808.jpg

Two beautiful corals from Mike. Thanks again. ;D
purpledeath.jpg

nucleargreen.jpg

And one more.
If anyone can tell me what happened here let me know...could my Clown have laid eggs?
Eggs.jpg

I turned the lights to do some maintenance and then after there were all these pinkish "eggs?".
They mainly got snagged by the GSP and they were gone short while later. I pulled one out and it sort of deflated, it was not a bug from what I could see and didn't move on its own.
Any suggestions or confirmations as to what they were?

One other cool thing was I was feeding my flower anemone (who took up residence in the back far side of the tank in the least accessable point basically)krill and my serpent starfish came charging out of the rocks like some Martian invader. He took a couple krill from me directly then crawled back in under the rocks. I was very cool I wish I had a movie of it.

Thanks again Mike for everything!

Thanks for the update James.

It renews my motivation!

I'm doing a little tank work tonight before the paintbrushes come out. ;D

Gosh, your tank looks terrific, JR. Are you loving it? ;D

Sorry, I can't see the "eggs" in the picture.

---
Wendy

I am super happy with everything but the air in the drains. The "eggs" are the little spots that look like dirt on the glass mostly 1/3 of the way up on the left hand side. I just never saw anything like it.

Oh and I don't like those turbo snails so much any more they were easy to turn right side up in a 24G but not so much in this tank.

Thanks for the compliments they mean a lot. I have to do some painting too a little delayed. :-[

So my main tank is doing great. I am still working on the drains trying to adjust them to get them quieter but OK not terrible.
But my QT has taken a beating. I lost the cleaner shrimp. I have no idea what happened he was eating fine.
And then yesterday my hippo tang has a major outbreak of ick.....so now I have to lower the salinity. I know should go to exactly 1.009 but how fast if anyone knows. I did everything to try to keep the bugger healthy garlic, selcor(sp). Thank god I QTed them I guess. Without the shrimp I can lower the sanity so that is the positive of losing him when I did.

Here are a couple new pics.
My MikeM Micromussa 4m don't know name.
micromussamikem.jpg

and my extremely successful cheato farm.
Cheatofarm.jpg

Super cool to finally meet you and family.

I don't think I would have met you had I not been watching the paypal laptop.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye - but I was dead tired and I had told my wife I'd be back early to help watch the sick kids. With the crazy rain and lightning the NJturnpike felt sooo slow.

Catch up with you later. After the swap and being overwhelmed with all those choices - I really have to take some time to consider what kind of corals I want in my 120.