• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My tour of the LFSs in NJ

OK so I've been to Tropiquarium, PetShanty, Shark Aquarium, Animals and Things (deadthings), and Underwater World and Aquatic Obsessions is by far the best one all around.

If you want to be belittled, insulted and treated poorly, then Eagle Reef is the right place to go. Agreed, nice livestock and well maintained but this hobby is just about friends and sharing information and Eagle Reef doesn't make the cut based on that criteria.

malulu said:
try EagleReef - http://www.njreefers.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=1527.0
;)

Eagle Reef Systems Inc
284 US Highway 206
Hillsborough, NJ 08844
Phone: (908) 431-0718

I have been there a coupe of weeks ago, and I wouldn't say that the choice is that great. Very few fish. I did, however, got a nice small hammer for 20$.

You culd try also In Living Color, Fish Factory, Absolutely Fish, All Aquatic, Fish Tank, Ocean galery II, Reef Encounter

Check this page http://zoyzoy.com/aquarium/aquariumstoresmap.asp

I would like to go to In Living Color but it's kinda far. I would have to plan a day for it. I will go but I don't know when ... I read there weekly specials and I thought they were pretty good. Although I'm not looking for livestock right now. I'll keep looking around and i'll keep posting what I find. It will be hard to beat the service and quality from Aquatic Obsessions though.

malulu

NJRC Member
most of the other stores we all hear good and bad from time to time:

Aquatic Obsessions. - Yes, so far I don't hear any negative
Under Water World - yes, so far I don't hear any negative

Red Sand - price is very good, selection was limited, heard is getting better now. very friendly.
PetShanty - price is good, limited selection, friendly

Eagle Reef - been there few times, selections were good, nice stuff, can't say about the services good nor bad.
Absolutely Fish - don't like (expensive) heard good & bad
Ocean galery II - closest to my home (expensive) heard good & bad
Animals and Things - price ok, heard good & bad
Living Color - price ok, heard good & bad

Shark Aquarium - been there once, (limited selection at that time) no comment of good nor bad
Tropiquarium - never been there

While not a NJ aquarium LFS, if you have the entire day to kill, and like myself you like to visit high end stores, it might be worth a trip to Pacific East Aquaculture (Dr. Mac's Corals). Here is a link (offsite) about their retail operation - http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/RetailOutlet.aspx

It is going to be a long trip, from the Delaware Memorial Bridge, you are about 2 hours away. However, they often run excellent specials on corals, like SPS frags at 10 for $99. The store is excellent in quality and price for corals, clams, and SPS frags. The inverts are usually in good supply. Fish are somewhat limited. They don't carry much in the way of equipment.

This isn't the sort of place to run to every weekend, but a trip there once or twice a year can be very rewarding. If you are in south NJ, it's not much further than going up to the LFS in north NJ.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you're an NJRC member, Sign Up Here to join us on our trip to Dr. Mac's on 7/14! The good Dr. is offering specials to area clubs who show up with 10 or more members.

I should join NJRC just for the discount there. I'm almost tempted to do just that, but I made the journey down there last weekend. Naturally, I spend way too much money.

I will say that anyone that makes the trip will see a great store, and a fantastic selection of corals.