• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mysterious Deaths

Also the one that was acting extra weird, including "dying" now lost a lot of color and isn't going to his normal spot. He is just swimming around the front of the tank instead of sleeping with his buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't even test them, I thought they don't bother fish unless they are crazy high?

Can you get a close up pic?

997b71566390ce836a32c569c93e912d.png
Loud splash and suddenly back on the sandbed!

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Something is up when the lights go off... They just got shut off and withing seconds they have begun splashing at the top and darting around like crazy. I am so confused as to what the problem could be. My cardinal is still acting normal by the way.

Did you leave the light off or turn then back on?

Did you leave the light off or turn then back on?

Left them off and observed the fish in the dark. When my dad just came upstairs he turned the hallway light on and when he saw it he immediately perked up. I really hope this isn't impossible and its definitely the strangest thing I've ever asked but.. Do you think he could be scared of the dark? Normally I have a light on below my tank to run my fuge on a reverse photoperiod and sone bleeds through to the top but since my sump is off for now theres no light.

Scare of the dark I don't think but maybe. Try turning your light back on and see if his behavior improves.

The hallway light is still on and now he is swimming with the other one. I seriously think its a problem with the dark as crazy as it sounds. I have turned the lights for my sump on and have them facing upwards so its more lit up. Will see what happens from here when I turn the hall lights off.

Welp, it has something to do with darkness, 100%. I shut the hallway lights off and have the sump lighting turned on and he is back to normal sleeping behavior. Sleeping nestled right next to the other clown at the very top. I don't know what his problem is with the dark but I will be going out to purchase some very cheap and dim LEDs to use as a moonlight. Hopefully this is the full solution. I will also be making it out to the fish store this week so I can do a water change. Thanks for the help everyone.