• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mysterious Deaths

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
no image posted.

If they are sleeping right near the return (which my clowns have done) you might have electric issue with your return pump which is coming out of return right there. I would assume it would zap your whole tank but if all you clown have sleep in that one area I would be looking at the area to be the issue.

no image posted.

If they are sleeping right near the return (which my clowns have done) you might have electric issue with your return pump which is coming out of return right there. I would assume it would zap your whole tank but if all you clown have sleep in that one area I would be looking at the area to be the issue.

I fixed the image issue, try refreshing it. Accidentally hit backspace on part of the link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no image posted.

Also my return wasnt on at the time. I just built a new sump the other so I'm giving the silicone 72 hours to be on the safe side. Both clowns sleep there and only the one had a problem

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I still have that killer shrimp in my tank...I just leave em be

@Tyler What does the tank look like now?

I still have that killer shrimp in my tank...I just leave em be

@Tyler What does the tank look like now?

Tank still looks 99% the same, only thing different is I moved some of my corals on the bottom around. My one was bleaching from the light so I moved it to the shade and its doing better

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
API test kit is better than not testing. Just make sure it hasn't expired. I have a API test strip that I use only for ammonia. That is good enough for that. I do have API 5 in 1 strips. I find that inaccurate and the liquid. I just tested it both API kits and it shows NO2 and NO3 as 0. Salifert NO3 shows 5.

Question: Is the surviving fish the original?

Neither of the fish are from my old set of clowns, they both died the same way and the one experienced the same thing. This morning I found the sick clown "dead" not breathing and didnt change position laying against the rocks for 40 minutes. He scared the you know what out of me when I touched him to discard the body and swam away to be with his friend.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
ok. I am more and more thinking you have a hitchhiker in there that might be stressing/attacking your clowns. It may only come out when the lights go out. I don't think there issues with your water level because you would see more issues and like we said clowns can handle swings in some of those levels.

ok. I am more and more thinking you have a hitchhiker in there that might be stressing/attacking your clowns. It may only come out when the lights go out. I don't think there issues with your water level because you would see more issues and like we said clowns can handle swings in some of those levels.

I look at my tank a lot after dark because I love watching the spaghetti worms, nassarius, stomatella snails and everything else. When he was splashing I was right there and looked right away and saw nothing near him. He has no marks on his body today and I would think if it was a predator it would have tried to eat him during the night when he was nearly dead just laying against the rocks, right

unless its just stunning the clowns - Mantis shrimp - Wikipedia. As you said you thought this one was dead until you touch him and he jetted out. Maybe he was just stunned.

He freaked out and was laying in the rocks. Stayed here the entire night and I just was going to remove him in the morning unless he made a miracle recovery. It happened at about 9:30PM, I went to take him out at 6:40 this morning. He didn't move at all the whole night. When I get home I'll take a picture of where it was. I don't have live rock, its all base rock, how could I get a mantis shrimp in there?

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
He freaked out and was laying in the rocks. Stayed here the entire night and I just was going to remove him in the morning unless he made a miracle recovery. It happened at about 9:30PM, I went to take him out at 6:40 this morning. He didn't move at all the whole night. When I get home I'll take a picture of where it was. I don't have live rock, its all base rock, how could I get a mantis shrimp in there?

its just a theory. you never know where some of these pest come from.

its just a theory. you never know where some of these pest come from.

You're right. The only way one could have gotten in is if it came in as an egg on some coral but I feel like thats very unlikely. I've also never heard a clicking noise like they are known for making.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
My 2c...
Ammonia.
Clowns are sensitive to it. I added a clown to a tank many moons ago.
Blenny fine, anthias fine, corals fine, clown on sandbed died in 24 hours.
I'd check it asap.

My 2c...
Ammonia.
Clowns are sensitive to it. I added a clown to a tank many moons ago.
Blenny fine, anthias fine, corals fine, clown on sandbed died in 24 hours.
I'd check it asap.

Checked with API since I figured these are vitals for fish.
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
Ph 8.0
Salinity 1.026
Temp 79.5
Something is up when the lights go off... They just got shut off and withing seconds they have begun splashing at the top and darting around like crazy. I am so confused as to what the problem could be. My cardinal is still acting normal by the way.