• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mythbusters of Reef Tanks

I think this might be a pretty cool thread. I'll start.

Does direct sunlight hurt your tank? I've read several threads stating both good and bad. Well I have noticed some green algae build up in the areas where sun directly hits my tank. I tinted the window right above it. Let us see if this helps.
ane7ugag.jpg

When I lived at my apartment and had my 90g it was next to a window but I always had the shades down so I never seen any problems. My new tank at my new place is across the living room from 2 big sliding doors(a good 20ft I'd say) and we occasionally have the blinds open when its sunny out. Surprising the sun reaches the tank but i haven't seen any ill effects. Probably doesn't hit the tank long enough to do anything.

Great thread ,maybe we can put to rest some of these myths. I know it was a touchy subject the other day wither the egg crating, once I free up my 5 gallon quarantine tank I'm going to stuff it to the gills. What other theories can we think of.

Now idk about this white egg crate. I've noticed algae on black egg crate. However I've read that white egg crate has extra chemicals? Not getting into it anymore. I'm sure dr. Redfishbluefish could chime in with his knowledge. Next, let's go with red and green LEDs.