• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Nano Reef in Classroom

After much thought I am going to start a 10 gallon Nano reef tank at school. I chose 10 gallons because I have Power Compacts that fit over the the edge of the 10 gallon tank. Another reason for this size tank is that it is very far from any water source/ drain. I plan to be using Ro/Di from home but it is still important to have a water source or drain nearby. I will be using an aquaclear 70 filter that has been modified to be a mini fuge, which will be the main water flow for now. I will be using a 25 watt heater for the moment. I say for the moment since the budget is low.

I currently am a teacher in Newark. I teach 6 grade Science. A few months ago I started a 4 gallon freshwater tank and the students were thrilled about the new addition in the classroom. Many students keep asking questions and when they get upset they watch calm down. This was possible by a friend who donated the tank, equipment, and plants and a discount from Aquatic Obsessions on the fish. I decided to start a reef tank because most students have not seen or know anything about corals or their environment. I have shown them pictures from my tank and others off the web and they are amazed at the awesomeness of a reef tank. So I figured let me show them what it is in real life and the stages the tank goes through as it matures.

This week I will get the new 10 gallon tank most likely from Petco with the sale. I will keep you posted on progress of the tank.

Nice!! You can probably tie-in a science topic with the tank. Cycling the tank and converting ammonia to nitrites to nitrates could be one. That should be a lot of fun.

Good luck!!

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Very cool Jon! I love hearing about getting tanks into classrooms. Getting kids excited or even introducing a reef to them in any way is awesome, but to have a real one that they can watch and interact with and learn from is simply the best.

Good luck with it and let me know if you need help with anything.

I have a few things laying around I could donate as well. Let me know what's needed ill see what I have.

That is fantastic news.
My Aunt kept a 12g biocube in her classroom with saltwater fish for several years. We kept it simple with a pair of clowns, firefish, serpent star, shrimp & hermits. Her school was not air conditioned, and heat was not always "on", so we steered away from corals due to the temp. concerns.
If I can help, let me know.

I want to thank everyone that has offered to help. I showed the kids and they were so happy to see that so many people want to help and that they are going to have a real reef in their school.
Sand and rocks are a big need so that I can start the tank to cycle.
Spare hang-on back protein skimmer and power head.
Also if any one has fish that they don't want that would be awesome.
Again thank you for the support and motivation to get this going for the kids. I'm actually going out later today to buy the tank.

I have a Chocolate chip star to donate if Interested. Very hardy and use to being handled by a 4 year old often lol. Let me know

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I just bought a 40lb bag of some caribsea seafloor special grade sand for my 29g build. I can spare around 10lbs which should be enough for a small standard 10g. If you want it let me know! I can rinse it in some RODI too if you want.

For a 10g your better off just getting a HOB like a AC 70 and scrap the skimmer. Just do weekly W/C's if possible. That's what i do for my 10g that's holding most of my stock till my 29s up.

Thanks for the offer on the sand I got the 20 high, its going to be very useful. By any chance will you guys be going to the meeting next week. Classklown thank you, do you have the chocolate chip star currently with corals, because I read that they are carnivorous and not reef safe? I ask because I plan to eventually put corals.

No I cannot attend the meeting, we live close enough I can drop it off one day if you still need the 10lbs I can offer. For a 20high you probably could do around 20lbs of sand for about a 1"-1 1/2" sandbed. That's what I used to have in my old 20high. So all you need is another 10lbs for a nice sand bed.

I have fully cycled live rock you can have, about 8 pounds of it.
Send me a PM and we will figure out a way for you to get it.
I can also give you some live sand to seed.
I ran a 20g with an aqua-c remora, much overrated for a 10 g, but a good skimmer if you can find one.
I also ran a CPR refugium, which I would recommend if you can find it.

Thanks for the offer on the sand I got the 20 high, its going to be very useful. By any chance will you guys be going to the meeting next week. Classklown thank you, do you have the chocolate chip star currently with corals, because I read that they are carnivorous and not reef safe? I ask because I plan to eventually put corals.

I dont but I thought they only picked zoas. I wasnt sure if you were goona have those or not

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

So far I do not know what exactly i would put. I know I will put some Gsp and xenias the students will be able to see fast growth and get excited. I was thinking about Zoas and palys. Apart from that I am not sure. at that point I will take a few more hardy frags from home but we will see as it comes along.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So far I do not know what exactly i would put. I know I will put some Gsp and xenias the students will be able to see fast growth and get excited. I was thinking about Zoas and palys. Apart from that I am not sure. at that point I will take a few more hardy frags from home but we will see as it comes along.

If I can make the meeting next week, I'll be dropping off some hardy corals for the tank!

I wanted to thank Arce, Ecambero, and Empire for your donations with the sand and rocks, and equipment I just got the tank running yesterday. It still needs some tough love and care but with time it will be amazing. I wish you all could see the sudden increase in interest and questions from the students. I have students coming during lunch to stay and help or just look. It was a bit cloudy, but here is a picture from when I left. I put in a filter pad so it should clear up by tonight. photo 5 (1).jpg

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Hey Jon. Given the environment and possibility for allergic reactions. I would suggest leaving out the Zoa and palys. Just a suggestion bud